Creamy, satisfying and easy instant pot coconut red lentils. Perfect, easy vegan dish to make on a busy weeknight. Just chop, pour and cook all the ingredients in the instant pot. Full of protein and fiber.
For the people that think vegan food is expensive, bland, low protein and hard to make, this recipe blasts through all of those false assumptions.
Not only is this recipe super budget friendly, it’s ridiculously easy to make. I’ve been making these easy instant pot creamy coconut red lentils every week.
It’s the perfect easy vegan recipe for a busy work week when you don’t want to fuss around too much in the kitchen.
These creamy red lentils are also full of protein, fiber and minerals. I absolutely love lentils and make it a point to eat them as often as I can. They leave you feeling full and satisfied.
For this recipe, the most work you do is chopping a few ingredients. That’s it. Leave the rest is up to the instant pot. This takes a total of 5-10 minutes to prep and then 20 minutes to pressure cook. Get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
I came across the inspiration for this recipe when my husband and I went to Burlington, Vermont over the summer. We went to the farmer’s market and got a red lentil dish like this from a Tibetan food stand. It blew me away with how simple, yet satisfying it tasted.
I flew home and had to re-create it right away. I tinkered with the recipe a few times until I landed on this version as the winner.
Enjoy this delicious, weeknight recipe!
Creamy Coconut Red Lentils
- 1 lb bag of dry red lentils – rinsed
- 2 small carrots – diced
- 1 small onion – diced
- 5 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 fresh ginger – peeled and minced
- 8 oz diced tomatoes
- 8 oz coconut milk (full fat not lite)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp veggie bouillon paste
- 4.5 cups water
- 1 large kale leaf – chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- Chop, mince, rinse & prepare all of your ingredients
- Add oil to the bottom of your pressure cooker and put it on sauté mode
- Sauté your onions and ginger for 2 minutes
- Add the garlic, turmeric and veggie bouillon paste and sauté for another minute
- Add the lentils, 4 cups of water, coconut milk, kale, tomatoes and carrots.
- Put lid on and pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Prepare some rice on the stove or in a rice cooker
- Quick release the lentils once the 20 minutes is done
- Add the ½ cup of water, lime juice and cilantro
- Serve over rice