Easy jackfruit nachos
Delicious jackfruit is seasoned to perfection and makes these dairy free nachos absolutely delicious. Quick, easy to make and healthy vegan nachos recipe.
You are going to love how easy these jackfruit nachos are. If you’re new to cooking jackfruit, this is a great recipe to get you started.
These jackfruit nachos are also a great vegan Super Bowl party recipe.
This recipe is:
Easy to make, Healthy, Delicious, Comforting, Dairy free, and Vegan
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit grown in Southeast Asia. It can grow to be 100 pounds! It has spiky green skin, and when ripe, tastes sweet like a mixture of apples and bananas.
When it’s young, the fruit inside is pretty tasteless and is a great blank canvas for many savory dishes. It’s used a lot as a meat substitute in vegan and vegetarian dishes.
It’s fibrous and chewy and the texture resembles pulled pork when cooked. We’re using young jackfruit in this recipe.
Jackfruit doesn’t have a lot of protein, so if you’re cooking with jackfruit as a meat substitute, always make sure to add a plant based protein like beans to the dish.
But, jackfruit does have a lot of fiber, so your gut will thank you.
Where can I buy jackfruit?
You can find canned jackfruit at Trader Joe’s, in an Asian grocery store, or in the international section of a grocery store.
I’ve also found it frozen in an Indian grocery store. Just make sure to thaw it first.
Make sure that you use young green jackfruit for this recipe. Ripe jackfruit is too sweet.
Tips for cooking vegan nachos
Make sure to get young green jackfruit in brine or water. DO NOT get the mature jackfruit it juices. It will be sweet and taste terrible in this recipe. Young jackfruit has an extremely mellow flavor.
To make it easier to season this, I just use a packet of taco seasoning. Check the ingredients to make sure there is no dairy in it.
Instead of seasoning with salt, I love to season jackfruit with a little bit of soy sauce. It adds a nice umami, meaty savoriness to it.
I love adding smoked paprika and chipotle powder to give a slightly smoky hint to the jackfruit.
To save time, instead of making a homemade nacho cheese sauce, I just use vegan cheddar cheese. Feel free to make your own if you’d like it to be a little healthier.
Top with your favorite toppings. Vegan sour cream is a must. I also love topping with guacamole, salsa, lettuce and cilantro.
To take this to the next level, instead of using jar salsa, you can make your own pico de gallo.
To make sure I get some protein, I love adding black beans to this, because jackfruit doesn’t have a lot of protein.
Make these recipes next:
Vegan Jackfruit Nachos
- Frying Pan
- 20 oz can of young green jackfruit in brine – drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder optional if you don’t like spice
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 small onion – sliced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 bag vegan cheddar cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and chop it up, making sure to chop up the tougher core parts. If you have frozen jackfruit, make sure it’s thawed first.
- Heat 1 TBL of oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, minced garlic, packet of taco seasoning, ½ tsp smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, ½ tsp chipotle powder (optional if you don’t like spice), and 1 cup of water.
- Cover with a lid and let cook for 10 minutes, until the jackfruit softens.
- If it dries up too much, add a splash of water, if it’s too soggy, take the lid off and cook the water out.
- Once jackfruit has cooked, shred it with a fork, or a potato masher.
- Taste and add more salt or soy sauce if needed
- Optional- if you’d like a firmer texture, spread jackfruit out on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10 minutes (after doing all of the above instructions)
- Heat oven to 375
- Lay tortilla chips out on a baking sheet and cover with a bag of vegan cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese softens and melts slightly. Check to make sure they don’t burn.
- Take out of the oven and top with a can of drained and rinsed black beans, jackfruit, vegan sour cream, salsa, guacamole and cilantro.
Non-stick frying pan
Made In Limited Santoku Knife
Rasa herbal coffee alternative This recipe was inspired by BlkAndVegan’s loaded jackfruit nachos recipe.