This easy vegan pasta sauce is not only filling but it’s high in protein, nutritious and budget friendly. Made with only lentils and pasta sauce, this recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to find ingredients: You can find all of the ingredients for this recipe at any grocery store. They are probably already in your pantry.
- Nutritious: Lentils are a great source of protein and fiber, making this sauce a filling and nutritious meal.
- Versatile: This sauce can be used with any type of pasta, making it a great option for meal planning.
- Budget-friendly: Lentils are an inexpensive ingredient, making this recipe an affordable meal option.
- Simple vegan pasta sauce for beginner cooks, new vegans, vegan teens or college students.
🍅 Ingredient Notes
Be sure to rinse the lentils before cooking. Brown or green lentils work well for this recipe. Red lentils also would work, but they have a softer texture and wouldn’t hold their shape, but they taste delicious.
Lentils are one of my favorite meat replacements. They work well in just about every recipe that requires ground beef. I love the way I feel after eating lentils; satisfied and full.
They’re full of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium and one cup of cooked lentils provides about 17 grams of protein. They’re also really affordable and this meals if extremely budget friendly. Need I say more?!
Look for a pasta sauce that doesn’t contain any dairy products. Marinara sauce or tomato sauce are great options.
- If you don’t have lentils on hand, you can substitute with canned chickpeas or black beans.
- Feel free to make your own pasta sauce, if you don’t want to use a store-bought sauce.
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and instructions!
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer.
- Place the lentils and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Once the lentils are cooked, mix in the pasta sauce.
- Serve the sauce over cooked pasta.
👩🍳 Expert tips
If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water until you get the consistency you desire.
You can also sauté some diced onion or minced garlic to the sauce for extra flavor.
- Add some diced bell pepper or sliced mushrooms to the sauce for extra veggies.
- Use red lentils instead of brown or green lentils for a different flavor.
- Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to the sauce for a cheesy flavor.
- Add in some baby spinach at the end to get some added greens
This sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
This sauce pairs well with any type of pasta. You can even make your own vegan pasta at home, without the need of a pasta maker. You can also top the pasta with nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan cheese.
This goes really well inside of a vegan lasagna. The lentils are a great substitute for ground beef, plus they’re cholesterol free.
Serve this with a side salad with Italian dressing or cashew ranch dressing.
This pasta also goes well with some vegan garlic bread. Grab a baguette, some vegan butter, salt and garlic powder and you can whip up some homemade garlic bread in no time.
Yes, you can use canned lentils instead. Just be sure to rinse them well before using. This will actually cut the cooking time in half, making this an even faster dinner idea.
As long as the pasta and pasta sauce you use are gluten free, this recipe can easily be made gluten free.
🍴 Try these recipes next
If you loved this recipe, leave a 5 ⭐️ rating on the recipe card and comment below!
Lentil pasta sauce (high protein)
- 2 cups of dry brown or green lentils (rinsed)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 24 ounces pasta sauce (1 jar) (check label to make sure there is no dairy)
- 16 ounces pasta
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer. Place lentils and water in a sauce pan, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until lentils are soft.2 cups of dry brown or green lentils, 5 cups vegetable broth
- Once lentils are cooked, mix the pasta sauce in. It's ok if there is still a little water in the lentils, just mix it all together.24 ounces pasta sauce (1 jar)
- Serve over cooked pasta16 ounces pasta
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Leave a Reply