Healthy vegan lunch idea
This recipe is a staple in my house. It’s so easy and versatile. You can put any veggies and herbs that you like in here. Easy chickpea salad sandwich is a great replacement for chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches.
It’s also extremely quick to make. I make a big batch of it in under 15 minutes. I’ll put this chickpea salad in the fridge, and then I have a quick lunch or meal on hand ready to go.
Chickpeas are super high in protein, vitamins and minerals. They’re a great food to eat daily if you’re cutting out meat.
According to the New York Times, they’re also extremely versatile
Tips for making this easy vegan lunch
- When I’m feeling ultra lazy, I’ll mix everything together in my food processor.
- Vegan mayo is pretty easy to find in most grocery stores. Hellman’s even has a vegan mayo now. JUST mayo is also very good
- My favorite ingredients are: carrots, onions and celery.
- Make sure to chop up your onions and celery small (or mix it all in the food processor)
- If everything is chopped up around the same size, it makes the flavor in each bite more balanced. So you get a little taste of all of the flavors, instead of a big mouthful of a celery chunk.
- If you don’t have a food processor, no problem! Just smash the chickpeas with a fork, or potato masher. Next, cut all of your veggies into the same small size. Add everything together
- I love also adding dry or fresh dill and dill relish. Use sweet relish if you’re not a fan.
How to serve
My favorite toppings for this are tomato and lettuce. I also love toasting my bread.
To make this a bit healthier, you could use 1 or 2 ripe avocados for the creaminess instead of vegan mayo.
Or, you could just use both avocado and vegan mayo. It makes for a delicious, creamy chickpea salad sandwich.
Whip this easy, healthy lunch up and enjoy!
Vegan recipes to try next
- Crispy roasted chickpeas
- Tempeh reuben sandwich
- Sesame ginger tofu buddha bowl
- Southwest quinoa black bean salad
Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 30 oz of chickpeas (two 16 oz cans)
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ ripe avocado (optional)
- 2 tbsp mustard
- ½ red onion – diced small
- 1-2 stalks of celery – diced small
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 tbsp dill or dill relish (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Drain, rinse and mash the chickpeas with avocado either by hand or in a food processor.
- Add in all other ingredients and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Put on toasted bread.
- Add toppings of choice like more mayo or mustard, avocado, lettuce and tomato
LOVED THE RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARD BY CLICKING BELOW.