Healthy vegan pumpkin pecan pancakes
My oh my, folks. This recipe is a winner. You can’t go wrong with fluffy, delicious vegan pancakes that are actually good for you too! Ingredients like old fashioned oats, pumpkin puree, vegan yogurt!
It’s like a bowl of oatmeal but more delicious. Here is how to make delicious vegan pancakes.
It’s that time of year where the leaves start to change, there’s a bite in the air and everything suddenly becomes pumpkin spiced.
Fine by me! This recipe is perfect for a cozy, chill weekend brunch. Grab a cup of coffee, your blender and let’s get started.
I love how easy this recipe is. No need to hand mix everything, just put all the ingredients into a blender and there you go.
Start out with your oats. You can use old fashioned oats or quick oats. Put them into the blender and make a flour first.
Let’s make some vegan buttermilk by adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the soymilk. This will help react to the baking soda to make these fluffy (more on this in a sec).
Then you add everything into the blender except the pecans. Save those bad boys for when you pour the batter into the pan
Now, I had one heck of a wild ride experimenting with how to get these vegan pancakes to fluff up. Nobody likes a flat pancake! I tried using 1 TBL of baking powder. Yes a TABLESPOON! That’s what all the other fluffy vegan pancake recipes call for. Well, it didn’t make them fluffy, but it did leave the pancakes with this weird, metallic aftertaste.
I then tried a teaspoon of baking soda and added vinegar to the soymilk in the beginning and BAM! Fluff city! Now, the chemistry of baking soda and baking powder still confound and confuse me, so I’m not gonna try to pretend what the difference is. All I know is that the baking soda with the apple cider vinegar makes these guys fluff right up.
Give it a whirl and let me know how you liked them!
Pumpkin, Pecan Vegan Pancakes (that are actually good for you)
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar put it in the milk to make buttermilk
- 2 tbsp sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- Handful of Pecans
- Place Apple Cider Vinegar in Soymilk. This will create buttermilk and react with the baking soda to make your pancakes nice and fluffy
- Put oats in a blender and blend into a flour
- Add everything but the pecans to the blender and blend until mixed
- Let batter sit for at least 5 minutes so the baking soda does its thing to make these fluffy
- Warm up a pan on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Oil the pan with vegan butter.
- The trickiest part about pancakes is keeping the heat at the right temp so you don’t burn the outside and leave the inside gooey. Make sure to keep the heat at medium low
- Pour batter onto pan. Put pecans on top. Let each side cook for at least 3 minutes each, until you start seeing air bubbles.
- Remove from pan and stuff your face!!