Dairy free instant pot mac and cheese
No cashews, no soy, no potatoes and no carrots and only five ingredients! Just straightforward, classic vegan comfort food. One pan, easy vegan weeknight lunch or dinner. Kid and budget friendly vegan recipe.
In need of some satisfying, easy vegan comfort food? You’ve come to the right place, my friend.
I’ve messed around with many ways to make vegan mac and cheese. This is by far the easiest way possible.
This recipe has minimal ingredients, doesn’t require blending up a cheese sauce, soaking cashews or boiling carrots and potatoes.
The best part is, because we use the Instant Pot, it’s a one pot meal.
Perfect for a weeknight or lazy, I’m-not-getting-out-of-my-pajamas weekend meal.
Bonus points: no sink full of dirty pots and pans when you’re done making dinner.
Easy to find, simple ingredients
Tips for making this vegan instant pot macaroni and cheese:
Add vegan butter to the pot of dry noodles, water and salt. This helps prevent the starchy water from foaming up when you quick release it.
If you can’t find vegan butter, most margarines work as well.
My favorite vegan milk to cook savory dishes with is So Delicious unsweetened and plain coconut milk. Cashew or oat milk work as well.
I don’t recommend soy or almond milk. They always leave a weird, unpleasant after taste
Quick release after cooking on high pressure for 4 minutes
Use only 4 cups of water for 16 oz of pasta
Don’t worry about draining the pasta after it cooks. The pasta should have absorbed most of the water and the water that is left is starchy and will help to thicken the mac and cheese
Set your instant pot to saute after the pasta cooks and add in the milk, cheese, garlic and onion powder, nutritional yeast and salt to taste.
Feel free to add any more flavors that you’d like. Some good ideas are: smoked paprika, paprika and mustard powder
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVED THIS RECIPE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
Try these recipes next:
Instant pot vegan mac and cheese (no cashews no soy)
- 16 oz. pasta shells
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 1 cup unsweetened extra creamy oat milk (unsweetened/plain cashew or coconut milk work as well. Soy and almond milk leave a weird after taste)
- 2 cups vegan cheese (Chao, Violife or Daiya are good)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the whole 16oz box of pasta, 4 cups of water, 1 tsp of salt and 2 TBL of vegan butter to the instant pot
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes
- Quick release. Be careful of foam spilling over. The fat in the butter should prevent too much foam from spilling.
- Set the instant pot to saute
- Add 1 cup of milk, 1 tsp garlic powder, 3 TBL nutritional yeast, 2 cups of vegan cheese and salt to taste (1 tsp of salt was my preference)
- Stir until everything melts together
- Bonus: Add steamed peas, broccoli or artichokes to make this even tastier.
LOVED THE RECIPE? SAVE IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD