I used to love deviled eggs. Seriously, L-O-V-E. Like, stuff my face with as many as was polite at a party without looking like a slob, but really not caring because THEY WERE DELICIOUS!
Once I discovered this recipe I was hooked! I also love to host dinner parties and these are perfect for the hungry guests while I’m getting my last minute dinner tweaks in order.
It blows my mind every time I re-create a recipe from my childhood, how much the foods we crave aren’t really the actual food itself, but all of the spices and flavorings around the food. What I craved most about deviled eggs was that delicious, perfect blend of the mayo, mustard and relish. Chickpeas do an amazing job of re-creating the mouth-feel of cooked egg yolks.
I always get such a kick out of veganizing some of my comfort foods from childhood. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 can chickpeas – rinsed
- 3 tbsp Vegan Mayo
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 tbsp Relish
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dash of Turmeric – optional for color
- Garnish with Smoked Paprika
- 6 Avocados
- In a food processor or bowl, mix or smash together all ingredients except for avocados and smoked paprika.
- After chickpeas are a smashed and mixed well, cut open avocados in half and take out the pit
- Lightly salt the avocados
- Fill avocados with chickpea filling and garnish with smoked paprika
- Serve with crackers or on toast