Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Absolute best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe. Easy to make and easy to find ingredients.
Holy tits, do I have a mouth (and panty) watering vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe for you this week.
I recently went on our annual holiday family vacation. Every night, I recipe tested these cookies and shared them with my (non-vegan, but very accepting) family.
I didn’t stop recipe testing these cookies until every single member of my family said they loved them. So, here is the absolute best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Tips for making the perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies
You can use vegan butter, or just margarine (but check that it’s vegan. Most naturally are) If you find it hard to find vegan butter like Miyokos or Earth balance, don’t sweat it. I’ve also just used Country Crock and it turned out amazingly well.
Set the margarine out so it softens and is easier to mix with the sugar.
Don’t over mix the batter once you add the flour. Only mix as much as you need to roughly blend the flour in. If you over mix it, it will make the dough tough.
Use a good brand of vegan chocolate chips. My favorite so far are toll house simply delicious. BONUS POINTS if you find a vegan chocolate bar and chop that up and add it in in addition to the chocolate chips
Cool the batter for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. This rehydrates the flour and makes the texture nice and chewy and prevents them from over spreading. What I usually do is bake 6-8 small cookies the first day, after letting the dough chill for 30 minutes, and put the rest of the dough in the fridge.
Then, I’ll make a second batch the next day, so I get the best of both worlds and have cookies the day I make them and also the next day.
Bonus points if you freeze the batter and thaw it out in the fridge. Just bake the cookies for an extra 3 minutes or so.
If you want chewy cookies, make sure not to over bake them. Take the cookies out after 9-12 minutes, depending on where you live and your oven (if you made the balls about 1.5” big) or until the edges are slightly golden and the middle of the cookie is puffed up.
Let them finish baking on the baking sheet, out of the oven for 5 minutes. They may look a little under done, but letting them sit on the sheet for about 5 minutes makes them nice and chewy.
Check out my healthy vegan black bean brownies next if you need some more recipes for your sweet tooth.
Best vegan chocolate chip cookies
- ½ cup margarine check to make sure it’s vegan. Most are or softened vegan butter (Miyokos and Earth balance are good)
- 3 tbsp soymilk
- 1 cup light brown sugar – packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- With an electric mixer, or by hand, cream together the margarine and sugar for 1-2 minutes, making sure it whips up into a creamy mixture
- Add the soymilk and vanilla and mix until it starts to look like caramel
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix just enough to get the flour roughly mixed in. DON’T OVER MIX!
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Put the batter in the fridge and chill for AT LEAST 30 minutes (24 hours is best, but 30 minutes does the trick as well.) If you’re in a hurry you can skip this, but they taste better when they’ve had time to sit.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a 1.5 TBL cookie scoop, form dough into balls and bake for 11-12 minutes, or until edges start to look a little golden brown and center is puffed. Every oven is different, so watch your cookies! You may have to bake them a little longer depending on your oven.
- It may still look undercooked in the middle, but it’s all good.
- Take cookies out of the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to finish baking.
- Place cookies on a cooling rack to finish
LOVED THIS VEGAN COOKIE RECIPE?! CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVORITE VEGAN RECIPE BOARD