Meatless taco salad recipe with creamy vegan yogurt, lime and avocado salad dressing.
This delicious vegan taco salad is made with a savory mushroom meat and topped with a creamy avocado, yogurt lime dressing. It’s packed with freshness and flavor and is ridiculously healthy and easy to make. Gluten free and dairy free. Healthy vegan dinner ideas.
I am a lover of hot, humid weather. When people complain about it feeling muggy, I smile to myself and say “FINALLY! I waited all year for this weather!”
I live in Michigan where most of the year is spent hiding under layers of clothes and battling seasonal depression. It’s cloudy, overcast and cold most of the year and the sun only seems to come out in the summer and fall.
Around the end of July is when we start to get the hot, humid, muggy weather that I love and it only lasts until the middle of September.
I make sure to really soak up those short months as much as I can.
We’ve been having some of my favorite type of days lately. It’s creeped up to the mid 90’s at times and it’s muggy as hell!
On days like these, the only things I crave are watermelons or salads. Because I want my salads to fill me up and serve as a meal, I whipped up this delicious vegan taco salad with mushroom meat and creamy avocado yogurt lime dressing.
All I can say is, it definitely hit the spot.
My favorite meat substitute are mushrooms. If you cook them right, they turn out chewy, and drenched with umami flavor.
The key to cooking these mushrooms right is to chop them up finely so that they resemble ground beef. Make sure to pre-heat your oiled pan on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
Once you add the mushrooms, cook them until you’ve cooked the water out and they start to brown. This will ensure to get the most flavor out of the mushrooms and it will prevent them from being soggy and gross.
This avocado lime dressing was a blast to make as well. It takes this taco salad to a whole new level.
If you can’t find plain, unsweetened vegan yogurt, you can always use vegan mayo which is sometimes easier to find now that big brands like Hellman’s even has a vegan mayo.
Top the salad off with toppings of your choice. My favorites are: corn, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, hot sauce and tortilla chips.
Share this recipe with someone who would love a delicious vegan taco salad recipe with an oil-free, healthy dressing.
If you want to learn how to cook dried beans in the instant pot, stove top or slow cooker, check out my article on how to cook dried beans from scratch.
Try these recipes next:
Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Yogurt Lime Dressing
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or 1 tsp each of cumin (garlic powder, chili powder, salt and chipotle powder (optional))
- ½ cup diced canned tomatoes- This is for the mushroom meat
- 1 head of romaine lettuce – chopped
- Black beans – rinsed and drained
- Tomatoes – fresh (this is to top the salad with)
- Red Onion
- Tortilla chips
- Hot sauce
- Avocado yogurt lime dressing
- ½ cup of vegan unsweetened plain yogurt or vegan mayo
- ½ lime – juiced – use juice of whole lime if you want it more citrusy
- 1 small garlic clove or 1 tsp garlic powder (fresh garlic tastes better)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ large or 1 small avocado
- 1 tsp of maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup of water
- Wipe off the mushrooms and chop them up very finely. You want them to resemble crumbles of beef
- Chop half of a small onion
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat with a little bit of oil
- Add the chopped onion and mushrooms
- Add a packet of taco seasoning, or a tsp each of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and chipotle powder (optional)
- Cook on medium heat until mushrooms shrink and cook out their water (about 5-10 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes thicken the mixture and resemble ground beef (about 5 minutes)
Avocado yogurt lime dressing
- Blend all ingredients in a blender
- Add a tiny bit of liquid – either lime juice or water – if you need to thin this out
- Chop the romaine
- Place lettuce in a large bowl
- Top with mushroom meat, corn, tomatoes, olives, red onions and avocado yogurt lime dressing.
- Crush tortilla chips and add on top with hot sauce (optional)
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARD TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!