Easy vegan thanksgiving side dish
Best vegan green bean casserole ever. Creamy, rich and satisfying. Dairy free. Delicious vegan holiday side dish recipe.
It’s that time of year! If this is your first holiday season as a vegan, don’t fret. You don’t have to miss out on any of the classic holiday dishes. You can make just about any dish vegan.
To prove this point here is my recipe for the best damn homemade vegan green bean casserole. It will knock your socks off.
This vegan green bean casserole is:
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:
The cashew cream base will seem a bit watery when you first blend it. Don’t worry. Cashews thicken a dish up the longer they’re heated.
Feel free to use frozen green beans as well. This will make this dish even easier.
If you’re allergic to cashews, you can use silken tofu instead. I haven’t recipe tested this yet, but word on the street is that silken tofu substitutes for cashew cream really well.
To make this even easier, we’re going to buy the fried onions and not try to make them ourselves. If you’re busy putting together a whole meal, doing this will make this dish even easier.
That’s about it! Enjoy this delicious homemade vegan green bean casserole!
Try out these vegan holiday recipes next
Best homemade vegan green bean casserole
- 1 Lb fresh green beans
- 8 oz white button mushrooms – cleaned and sliced
- ¾ cup raw cashews – soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 onion ( or large shallot – diced)
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1.5 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 TBL nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bag fried onions
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Soak cashews in boiled water for 10 minutes. Drain
- Trim the ends of green beans and cut in half if you prefer
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and blanche green beans for 6 minutes. Rinse with cool water to stop them from cooking.
- In a high-speed blender add the cashews, bouillon cubes, garlic & onion powder, nutritional yeast and 2 cups of water.
- Blend on high until smooth. 1-2 minutes. It will seem too thin, but this will thicken when heated.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and melt the vegan butter
- Sauté the onions until lightly browned
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, soy sauce, thyme and black pepper and cook until mushrooms are slightly browned – about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the blended cashew cream base and turn heat to medium low.
- Stir on medium low heat until soup starts to thicken slightly. Don’t thicken it all the way because it will thicken in the oven.
- Turn heat off
- In your casserole dish, add the green beans and cream of mushroom soup.
- Stir in a handful of fried onions
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Until you see the casserole thickening up and bubbling.
- Take out of oven and cover the top with fried onions.
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Let it set for 5 minutes and serve
If you’re gluten free, find a gluten free soy sauce and gluten free fried onions
LOVED THE RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD BY CLICKING THE IMAGE BELOW