Comforting beefless stew with a rich and savory broth.
This vegan beef stew is hearty, satisfying and delicious and will warm you up on the coldest of days.
We did it, folks! We made a hearty, comforting, warming, DAMN TASTY vegan beefless stew.
This broth is rich, savory and so damn satisfying.
Tips for making this vegan beef stew
One thing I heard people complain about with other stew recipes is that the Gardein beefless tips fall apart if they are cooked in the broth too long.
I also thought the outsides were really flavorful, but the insides of them were a little bland.
To fix this, I have you cut the beefless tips in half so that there’s more surface area getting flavor when we sautee it.
I also have you marinate the beefless tips to add some flavor to the insides. To prevent these from getting soggy, we don’t add the tips in until right before serving this hearty vegan beefless stew.
It worked out perfectly.
Soy sauce is my secret weapon to making vegan soup broths savory and rich. It adds this amazing umami flavor that is often missing in vegetable stocks.
We also add some tomato paste to the broth. That’s another secret weapon for making vegetable broth richer. Tomato paste adds an amazing acid balance and an umami richness.
I’ve also seen some beefless stews use only mushrooms as their meat alternative. We upped the chewiness of this stew by using BOTH mushrooms and the beefless tips. Why the hell not?
Now, it’s virtually impossible for me to make a stew without peas, so I threw them in there as well for a brightness. Plus, the green color is a beautiful addition.
So grab you soup pot, a big cozy sweater and make a big batch of this stew on a cold evening.
Try these vegan recipes next
Vegan Beef(less) Stew
- 1 package of Gardein Beefless Tips – This soup is still good if you can’t find these
- 1 Meat Marinade ( – I love Stubb's beef marinade- it's actually vegan.)
- Or make your own with 3 TBL soy sauce (1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 TBL maple syrup, 1 tsp black pepper)
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (baby bella or white button)
- 2 tbsp corn starch or flour
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 medium carrots – chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 large potatoes – peel if it’s a russet potato – roughly chopped – not too small
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp vegan beef bouillon paste or cubes
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 cups water
Marinate the beefless tips
- First, put your beefless tips in the fridge so they thaw out if they were frozen
- Cut them in half
- Put them in tupperware and cover with the beef marinade
- Let this marinate ideally over night,
- If you forget, just let it marinate for at least for 20-30 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, heat 3 TBL oil on medium heat
- Once pot is hot, cook the beef tips.
- Turn them every few minutes so they get browned on each side.
- Take the beef tips out and put aside in a bowl
- In the same soup pot, add a little more oil and sautee the onions for 1 minute
- Add the mushrooms and sautee until lightly browned – 3-5 minutes
- Add tomato paste, thyme, corn starch and carrots – sautee for 5 minutes
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, bay leaves, garlic and peas and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the potatoes and simmer for another 15-20 minutes
- Once the soup looks thick and ready, add the beefless tips and turn off heat
- Add 1 TBL of soy sauce and stir it in. This adds an amazing depth of flavor to the stock.