These air fryer diced potatoes come out crispy golden brown and perfectly seasoned. Using an air fryer takes less time and uses less oil. These satisfying and crispy potatoes are the perfect side dish to whip up for any meal.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- These crispy air fryer potatoes require minimal prep, so they're great if you need an easy side dish
- Go great as breakfast potatoes, or as a delicious side dish for lunch and dinner.
- Air frying requires less oil.
- Cooked to be perfectly fluffy on the inside, crispy and seasoned on the outside potato.
- Made with budget friendly and simple ingredients.
🥔 Ingredients and substitutions
Potatoes - I like to use yellow potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes. These potatoes have a lower moisture and higher starch content which are great for making crispy potatoes. Red potatoes can work as well, but may not come out as fluffy or crispy because of its lower starch content.
Seasonings - I use a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. You can also use different seasonings to adjust this recipe to your tastes. Fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme also taste amazing with these delicious potatoes.
Oil - I like avocado oil because it has a higher heat tolerance. You can also use olive oil or vegetable oil.
👩🍳 Recipe tips
Steam the potatoes first - This will give you the best texture. Steaming the potatoes before air frying cooks the potato more, and gives it a super fluffy interior and a nice crispy skin on the outside.
Try to cook in a single layer - this will give enough room in between the potatoes to ensure the hot air can evenly cook and crisp each potato cube.
Cooking time may vary, depending on your air fryer. Keep an eye on the potatoes and take them out when they look crispy and golden brown.
Season with a little pinch of salt when the potatoes are hot and just coming out of the air fryer. Salt sticks really well to hot potatoes.
Step one: Rinse the potatoes in some cold water, then cut them into 1-inch cubes. Steam the potatoes for 10 minutes, or until they become slightly fork tender.
Step two: Add the cubed potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle on some oil. Sprinkle on the seasonings and salt and give the potatoes a good shake to mix.
Step three: Add the seasoned potatoes to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Step four: Air fry at 400 degrees f for 10 minutes. Shake and air fry for another 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes look crispy and golden brown.
Make sure to scroll to the recipe card for full step-by-step instructions.
🥣 Serving suggestions
♨️ Storing and reheating
These will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days. They will lose their crispiness as they cool. Reheat them up in the air fryer to crisp them up again after storing.
❓ Recipe FAQs
If you're using a potato with a thin skin like yellow potatoes, there's no need to peel the potato skin. If you're using a russet potato, I recommend peeling the skin, since it's a bit thicker and doesn't have the best texture when you air fry it.
Yes, you can cook frozen diced potatoes in an air fryer if you don't have fresh potatoes. Preheat the air fryer, toss the frozen diced potatoes in a bit of oil and seasoning, then spread them in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Cook at 400 degrees for about 15-25 minutes, shaking or stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking. Cooking times may vary based on the air fryer model, so adjust to your cooking time as needed.
❤️ More potato recipes you'll love
If you loved this recipe, leave a 5 ⭐️ rating on the recipe card and comment below!
Crispy Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Air fryer
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Rinse the potatoes and dice them into 1" cubes. Add them to a steamer basket and steam on the stove until slightly fork tender. About 5-10 minutes. This will help them to be more fluffy and crispy.1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- Add the steamed potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle with oil and shake to coat. Sprinkle on the seasonings and salt and mix the seasonings in.1 tablespoon oil
- Lay the potato cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, to ensure they get evenly cooked and crispy. Air fry at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes, or until they become crispy and golden brown. Shake the basket halfway through the cooking time.1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon salt
- When they come out of the air fryer, sprinkle on a tiny pinch of salt or some vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast if you have it on hand.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.