Delicious pan fried breakfast potatoes
Crispy breakfast potatoes made on the stove or in an air fryer. Just like from your favorite diner. Easy to make for breakfast or brunch. Have them with a side of tofu scramble or wrap them up in a breakfast burrito.
This recipe is
- gluten free
- quick and easy
These breakfast potatoes are super easy to make and can easily be modified to fit your taste. Here’s what I put in my potatoes:
- Oil – I love using a neutral tasting oil like vegetable or avocado oil
- Vegan butter
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh garlic
How to make crispy breakfast potatoes
Steam potatoes. First peel, quarter and steam the potatoes until fork tender.
Let them cool. Let the potatoes cool down to room temperature. You can even do this step the night before and cool them in the fridge over night. They actually work best when a little cold.
Cook in a skillet. Heat up a skillet and add oil and vegan butter. Cut the potatoes into small cubes. Add them to the hot pan. Sprinkle on seasonings and fresh garlic. Cook until golden brown and crispy.
The secret to getting the perfect crispy breakfast potatoes is steaming the potatoes first and letting them completely cool. I like doing this step the night before and then letting them cool in the fridge.
This recipe works great with any left over potatoes you may have from a meal, like if you have a bunch of baked potatoes you need to use up.
Don’t add the fresh garlic in too soon, or it will burn. I like to add it about halfway through.
Make sure your pan is nice and hot before adding in the potatoes. Once the potatoes are in, leave them alone for 5-6 minutes on each side. Leaving them alone helps them to create a nice crispy outer layer.
How to reheat potatoes
These potatoes work best being reheated on the skillet with some oil. It will crisp them up again.
You can also reheat them in a microwave, but they will be a little mushy.
What potatoes should I use?
Any potato works with this recipe. Some of my favorite to use are Russets because they have a high starch content and won’t get mushy. I also love red skin potatoes. If I use red skin potatoes, I won’t peel them.
How long will these last in the fridge?
These potatoes last about 5 days in the fridge.
Can I make this without oil?
You can, but they won’t turn out as crispy or satisfying and they will stick to your pan.
If you want to make these without oil, make them in the air fryer. Just steam them up, season them and then cook at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until they’re crispy.
What to serve with breakfast potatoes
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Absolutely! In a mixing bowl mix together the steamed and cooled potato cubes, 1 tablespoon of oil and all the seasonings.
Turn the air fryer onto 400 degrees and cook for about 15 minutes or until they’re nice and crispy. Shake them about halfway through. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket. Do this in batches if needed.
Crispy breakfast potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
Stove top directions
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Steam them on the stove or in a microwave until barely fork tender. Let them cool down to room temperature or put them in the fridge over night.2 pounds potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into cubes. Mince the garlic. Heat up oil and vegan butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the potatoes. Let them cook for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle on the seasonings, salt and minced garlic. Cook until they're golden brown and crispy.2 pounds potatoes, ¼ cup oil, 1 tablespoon vegan butter, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika, 2 cloves garlic
Air fryer directions
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Steam them on the stove or in a microwave until barely fork tender. Let the potatoes cool down a little bit so you can cut them into cubes.2 pounds potatoes
- You can use a lot less oil for the air fryer recipe. In a large mixing bowl add the potatoes, only 1 tablespoon of oil, all the seasonings and salt and minced garlic. Put them in the air fryer at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until they're golden brown and crispy. Shake them halfway through. Make sure not to crowd them. Do this in batches if needed.1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika, 2 cloves garlic
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board by clicking the image below