Dairy free cream cheese substitute
This non-dairy cream cheese is so simple and delicious. Full of protein and flavor. Smooth and creamy and easy to make. Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and then let it set in the fridge. This creamy spread has a base of tofu and is made with only six ingredients.
Making your own dairy-free cream cheese is a lot cheaper than buying a brand like Kite Hill it at the grocery store or health food stores. This homemade cream cheese has an amazing smooth texture and is a good substitute that will definitely please your taste buds.
This recipe is
- a great dairy-free alternative to regular cream cheese
- made with simple ingredients
- healthy (1)
- gluten free
- quick and easy
- dairy free
- budget friendly
- great alternative if you have lactose intolerance or a milk allergy
- Extra firm tofu - Tofu is the base of this recipe. Extra firm works best, so that the cream cheese isn't too runny. Silken tofu would make the cream cheese too runny.
- Refined (unscented) Coconut oil - This helps to add some creaminess and texture. When the cream cheese chills in the fridge for at least four hours, it will firm up and have a thick texture because of the coconut oil and have a great creamy texture. Use refined coconut oil, so that it doesn't leave a coconut flavor. Olive oil wouldn't be a good substitution because it doesn't firm up when cold like coconut oil does.
- Lemon juice - This will add a nice tartness because of the citric acid.
- Apple cider vinegar - Adds tartness as well
- Garlic powder and onion powder
- Nutritional yeast - This adds a nice savory depth of flavor and is full of vitamin b12 when it's enriched. Feel free to leave it out if you don't have it on hand.
- Salt - Sea salt or whatever you have on hand
- Make sure to press your tofu before adding it to the food processor. If you don't have a tofu press, (use code DAMNTASTY for 10% off) then use heavy pans or books. You can also try to squeeze out excess water over the sink.
- Pro tip: Getting rid of excess water in the tofu will help to make sure the tofu cream cheese isn't too watery or runny.
- Let the cream cheese sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This will give the coconut oil time to chill and firm up.
This tofu cream cheese is amazingly customizable to your personal tastes. For some different flavors, stir in after blending:
- Fresh dill
- Green onions
- Chipotle powder
- Everything but the bagel seasoning or sesame seeds
If you'd like a sweet cream cheese
Leave out the garlic, onion powder and nutritional yeast and instead add in:
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Cocoa powder and maple syrup
How to serve
This homemade vegan cream cheese is a great option for a lot of creamy recipes. You can use it in many delicious ways:
- Filling for stuffed shells
- Ricotta cheese for lasagna
- Make a bagel sandwich and add fresh tomatoes and cucumbers
- Filling for vegan pierogies
- Spread on your morning bagel
This will last about a week in the fridge. It firms up more once it chills.
I haven't tried freezing it yet, but it should be fine. Just let it thaw completely. Then stir it up well after it thaws.
If you don't have extra firm tofu, firm tofu will work just as well. Just make sure to press the water out for best results.
More easy recipes you'll love
- Vegan fondue
- Comforting vegan chicken noodle soup
- Dairy free mac and cheese
- Vegan bechamel sauce
- Vegan cashew cream
- High protein overnight oats
If you liked this recipe, leave a star rating in the recipe card below and pin it to your favorite Pinterest.
Tofu cream cheese
- Measure out your coconut oil, then melt it for 10-30 seconds in the microwave. Don't let it boil or get too hot.⅓ cup coconut oil
- Strain a package of tofu, then press the tofu for 10 minutes to get excess water out, with a tofu press or heavy books. You can also squeeze the water out over the sink, if you're in a hurry. Don't worry about breaking it, since we will be blending this up.1 package (14 ounce) extra firm tofu
- Add tofu to a food processor or blender. Then add all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. You will need to stop it a few times to scrape down the sides.1 package (14 ounce) extra firm tofu, ⅓ cup coconut oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the cream cheese in tupperware and let it set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. It will firm up when chilled.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.