Non dairy cream cheese recipe
This tofu cream cheese is so simple and delicious. Full of protein and flavor. Smooth and creamy and easy to make. Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and then let it set in the fridge. Made with only six ingredients.
This recipe is
- healthy (1)
- gluten free
- quick and easy
- dairy free
- budget friendly
- Extra firm tofu – Tofu is the base of this recipe. Extra firm works best, so that the cream cheese isn’t too runny.
- Refined (unscented) Coconut oil – This helps to add some creaminess and texture. When the cream cheese chills in the fridge for at least four hours, it will firm up because of the coconut oil. Use refined coconut oil, so that it doesn’t leave a coconut flavor.
- Lemon juice – This will add a nice tartness.
- Apple cider vinegar – Adds tartness as well
- Garlic and onion powder
- Nutritional yeast – This adds a nice savory depth of flavor. Feel free to leave it out if you don’t have it on hand.
- Make sure to press your tofu before adding it to the food processor. If you don’t have a tofu press, (use code DAMNTASTY for 10% off) then use heavy pans or books. You can also try to squeeze out excess water over the sink.
- Getting rid of excess water in the tofu will help to make sure the tofu cream cheese isn’t too watery or runny.
- Let the cream cheese sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This will give the coconut oil time to chill and firm up.
This tofu cream cheese is amazingly customizable. Great things to add in after blending are:
- Fresh dill
- Green onions
- Chipotle powder
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
If you’d like a sweet cream cheese
Leave out the garlic, onion powder and nutritional yeast and instead add in:
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Cocoa powder and maple syrup
How to serve
This vegan cream cheese makes a great base for a lot of creamy recipes. You can use it in:
- Filling for stuffed shells
- Ricotta cheese for lasagna
- Make a bagel sandwich and add fresh tomatoes and cucumbers
- Filling for vegan pierogies
This will last about a week in the fridge. It firms up more once it chills.
I haven’t tried freezing it yet, but it should be fine. Just let it thaw completely. Then stir it up well after it thaws.
If you don’t have extra firm tofu, firm tofu will work just as well. Just make sure to press the water out.
More recipes you’ll love
Tofu cream cheese
- Measure out your coconut oil, then melt it for 10-30 seconds in the microwave. Don't let it boil or get too hot.⅓ cup coconut oil
- Strain a package of tofu, then press the tofu for 10 minutes to get excess water out, with a tofu press or heavy books. You can also squeeze the water out over the sink, if you're in a hurry. Don't worry about breaking it, since we will be blending this up.1 package (14 ounce) extra firm tofu
- Add tofu to a food processor or blender. Then add all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. You will need to stop it a few times to scrape down the sides.1 package (14 ounce) extra firm tofu, ⅓ cup coconut oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the cream cheese in tupperware and let it set in the fridge for at least 4 hours. It will firm up when chilled.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board by clicking the image below