Delicious and easy vegan potato salad. Perfectly tender potatoes are mixed together in a well seasoned and creamy dressing. Add some extra flavor and texture with chopped celery and fresh herbs like dill. Dairy free and egg free. Great dish to bring to a summer bbq.
This easy vegan potato salad is the perfect side dish to share at a summer cookout. This classic potato salad looks and tastes just like the “real” thing.
Bring it to your next bbq and your non-vegan friends and family will eat it all up!
- Potatoes - I love using Yukon gold potatoes because they're so tender
- Vegan mayonnaise - There are a lot of different brands in the grocery stores now. Just mayo and Follow Your Heart are great brands. Hellman's even has a vegan mayo out now.
- Dill relish - You can also chop up some dill pickles if you don't have any relish on hand.
- Onion - I love using red onion, but feel free to use green onions if you'd like. Yellow onions are great as well.
- Celery - This adds a nice salty flavor and extra crunchy texture.
- Fresh dill - you can also use dried dill.
- Mustard - Dijon mustard or yellow mustard work great.
- Extra firm tofu - This is optional, but adds the texture of egg whites that's in regular potato salad.
- Black salt - also called kala namak. This will add a slightly eggy taste. You can find it in Indian grocery stores or order it online. Completely optional.
- Garlic powder and onion powder
For a healthier version, you can use a mix of ½ of vegan mayo and a ½ cup of unsweetened plain vegan yogurt.
For a mayo free version, just sub out all of the mayo for unsweetened and plain vegan yogurt. You can also use vegan sour cream.
Rinsing the potatoes in cold water after boiling them will help them to cool faster.
For the best texture, keep the potatoes whole during the cooking process.
If you don't want to use dill relish, then use sweet relish. If you do, then also opt for sweet onions.
To jazz this up a little bit, I added firm tofu sprinkled with a little bit of black salt. Black salt is used in Indian dishes and has a sulfur smell and taste. It adds a slightly eggy flavor, since
This makes the tofu taste like eggs, since traditional potato salad usually has eggs in it. You can always leave the black salt out and this dish will still taste amazing.
For even more texture and color, add in some red bell pepper to this easy recipe. Just dice them up.
I think those are all the tips I have for you! I hope this summer season brings you a lot of vegan BBQ’s!
Storing and making ahead
Fridge - This is a great recipe to meal prep ahead of time. This lasts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. It tastes amazing the next day once all the flavors had a chance to mingle.
Freezer - You can freeze potato salad, but make sure you let it thaw out in the fridge and not in a microwave or at room temperature. It will give it a mushy consistency.
Making ahead - To make ahead, just boil the potatoes and then let them cool completely in the fridge over night. When you're ready to make the potato salad, make up the dressing in a large bowl and add the potatoes in.
My favorite potatoes to use are thin-skinned potatoes like Yukon gold. I usually opt to keep the potato skin on. You can always peel them off, but a lot of the nutrition is in the skin.
Yellow potatoes like Yukon golds are a great middle of the road potato with an average starchy content.
If you want a little more firmness in your potato salad, opt for less starchy, waxy potatoes like red potatoes, fingerlings or new potatoes.
If you like a really mushy potato salad, then go for a high starch potato like a russet potatoe
Try these recipes next
If you loved this recipe, leave a 5 ⭐️ rating on the recipe card and comment below!
Easy vegan potato salad
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes
- ½ onion (diced finely)
- 2 celery stalks (diced finely)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry or fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of vegan mayo
- ¼ cup of mustard
- ⅓ cup dill relish
- ½ teaspoon black salt (Optional. this gives the dish an egg flavor)
- 8 oz extra firm or firm tofu (Optional. about half of a package. Gently press water out)
- Cover potatoes with water in a large pot. Bring water to boil. Cook potatoes until fork tender - about 10 minutes depending on their size3 pounds yellow potatoes
- Let potatoes cool completely. Run cold water over them to cool them faster. Cube potatoes after they cool (you can choose to peel them at this point or leave the skins on)
- Add in the diced onion and celery½ onion, 2 celery stalks
- Mix together mayo, mustard, relish, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and dill in a bowl and add to the potato bowl. Mix gently.1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup of vegan mayo, ¼ cup of mustard, ⅓ cup dill relish, 1 teaspoon dry or fresh dill
- Optional - tear the firm tofu into chunks that resemble egg whites. Sprinkle black salt over the tofu, mix well, then add tofu to the potatoes. This is our egg replacement. You can also add tofu without the black salt.8 oz extra firm or firm tofu, ½ teaspoon black salt
- Garnish with paprika and more dill.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.