Eggless and dairy free potato salad.
Panicking about what to bring to a BBQ as a vegan? Never fear! This super simple vegan potato salad is the perfect dish to bring and share. Learn what is the best potato to use for a potato salad.
If there’s one thing I love, it’s vegan BBQ food. In a lot of people’s minds, vegan food and BBQ don’t go together.
I’m here to show you that they go together perfectly! You can have a delicious, creamy, greasy, satisfying BBQ and it doesn’t have to harm and kill our furry friends.
Speaking of our wedding, this is the recipe that I made that satisfied all 100 of our guests (yes, I was crazy and made all of our wedding food). Most people had no clue it was vegan.
This super simple vegan potato salad is the perfect dish to bring and share at a BBQ. Gone are the days when vegans had nothing to bring that people wouldn’t gawk at and judge (ok, almost gone). This potato salad looks and tastes just like the “real” thing.
A couple of tips for you.
Best potatoes to use for potato salad
My favorite potatoes to use are yukon gold and I usually opt to keep the skins on. You can always peel them off, but a lot of the nutrition is in the skin.
If you’d like to make this a little healthier, you can use a mix of ½ of vegan mayo and a ½ cup of unsweetened plain vegan yogurt.
Wars have been fought over whether to use sweet or dill relish in potato salad. I’m a dill relish kinda gal, but use whatever your heart desires. If you use sweet relish, also opt for sweet onions.
To jazz this up a little bit, I added firm tofu sprinkled with a little bit of black salt. Black salt is used in indian dishes and has a sulfur smell and taste.
This makes the tofu taste like eggs. You can always leave the black salt out and this dish will still taste amazing.
I think those are all the tips I have for you! I hope this summer season brings you a lot of vegan BBQ’s! Share this recipe with your friends and tell me how you liked it in the comments below.
Try these recipes next
Super Simple Vegan Potato Salad
- 3 lbs yellow potatoes
- ½ onion (diced finely)
- 1-2 celery stalks (diced finely)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry or fresh dill
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup of vegan mayo
- ¼ cup of mustard
- ⅓ cup dill relish
- ½ tsp black salt (Optional. this gives the dish an egg flavor)
- 8 oz extra firm or firm tofu (Optional. about half of a package. Gently press water out)
- Cover potatoes with water in a large pot. Bring water to boil
- Cook potatoes until fork tender – about 10 minutes depending on their size
- Let potatoes cool
- Cube potatoes after they cool (you can choose to peel them at this point or leave the skins on)
- Add in the diced onion and celery
- Mix together mayo, mustard, relish, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and dill in a bowl and add to the potato bowl. Mix gently.
- Optional – tear the firm tofu into chunks that resemble egg whites. Sprinkle black salt over the tofu, mix well, then add tofu to the potatoes. This is our egg replacement. You can also add tofu without the black salt.
- Garnish with paprika and more dill.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.