How to cook tofu
Here’s a delicious recipe to take your tofu to the next level. Easy BBQ tofu made in the oven. If you’re not sure how to cook tofu, this is a great place to start.
If you’re new to making tofu, and you’re not sure how to prepare it, this recipe will take your tofu to the next level.
There are a few tips and tricks to getting your tofu just right and this recipe will show you those.
Tofu is amazing to eat as a vegan, vegetarian, or just someone looking to cut back on their animal consumption. Soy is really high in protein and is a complete protein.
The estrogen in tofu is a phytoestrogen, phyto meaning plant, so it doesn’t act at all like the estrogen your body makes. Soy has been shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers like breast cancer
Tips for making BBQ tofu
- Make sure to use firm or extra firm tofu
- Always always press your tofu (use promo code DamnTasty for 10% off)
- if you don’t have a tofu press (which I highly recommend if you plan on making tofu often), just wrap the tofu in a towel, and put some heavy pans or books on top.
- Season the tofu before baking with some oil, salt, soy sauce and corn starch.
- Don’t add the bbq sauce until after the tofu has baked and crisped up.
- Once you’ve baked the tofu for 20-25 minutes, get out a saute pan, and toss the tofu in the sauce on the stove, until the sauce caramelizes.
- You can eat this many different ways, throw it into a wrap, serve it with a side of baked potatoes and veggies, or throw it on a salad with a delicious vegan ranch.
This tofu recipe is
- High in protein
- Great meat replacement for vegans, vegetarians and people wanting to consume less meat
How long will this tofu last?
This should last about 5-6 days in the fridge. I’ve never tried to freeze it, but let me know how it goes if you try that.
More recipes to try:
Easy BBQ Tofu
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp vegetable or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Cup BBQ sauce check ingredients for no honey or animal products
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Heat oven at 420 degrees
- Take tofu out of package and press for 15 minutes – don’t skip this, it will make the tofu crispier. If you don’t have a tofu press, wrap in a towel, and put heavy pans or books on top.
- Dice tofu up into 1″ cubes
- In a large bowl mix 1 TBL of oil with 1 TBL of soy sauce
- Throw tofu in the bowl and gently toss to cover each tofu piece
- Sprinkle on 3 TBL of corn starch and gently toss until most of the corn starch absorbs into the tofu and you don’t see it as much
- Place tofu on a lined baking sheet, making sure the pieces are spaced out and not touching
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until tofu looks golden brown and crispy
- Take tofu out of the oven and put in a saute pan on medium low heat.
- Add ½-1 cup of BBQ sauce and make sure each tofu piece is well coated.
- Add 1tsp of maple syrup and 1 tsp of soy sauce
- Simmer on medium low heat for 1-2 minutes or until the BBQ sauce starts to caramelize
- Remove from heat and serve on a salad, in a wrap or on the side with a baked potato and vegetables
Pin this for later