Easy and delicious tofu recipe
Crispy and delicious sesame ginger baked tofu. Easy to make tofu that goes great in a stir fry or a buddha bowl.
I know. Tofu can be a tricky little fucker to cook, but once you learn its secrets, you’ll be craving this tasty little protein in no time.
This sesame ginger baked tofu has everything you could possibly desire. It’s crunchy, flavorful, easy and damn delicious.
Some tips for making amazing sesame ginger baked tofu
Press your tofu! Just do it!
If your tofu always comes out as soggy and disgusting as a dish rag, it’s probably because you didn’t press the tofu.
When you press the tofu, it squeezes out all of the water and makes room for your marinades and spices. Hello, flavor town!
So, there are two ways to press your tofu. I recommend getting a tofu press. If you plan on cooking tofu on any regular basis, you will thank me for this.
I was resistant for a while, but after using this bad boy once, I wish I had bought it sooner.
If you’re not quite ready to commit, then you can wrap your tofu in paper towel, or a lint-free kitchen towel and place a heavy pot or pan on top of the tofu. You want to let it press for at least 30 minutes.
Onto the sesame ginger marinade. This stuff is pure gold. I could honestly bathe in it.
Mix together your soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup and then freshly minced garlic and ginger.
Let the tofu marinate in this for at least 15 minutes. I like to put it in a Tupperware bowl, put the lid on. I then flip the tofu upside down and store it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
Flipping the tofu upside down helps the marinade to get all over the tofu, without having to stir it and possible break up the tofu.
Right before you’re ready to bake the tofu, sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and use a rubber spatula to gently mix the nutritional yeast in. You want to mix it enough so that you don’t see the corn starch.
The nutritional yeast will give this tofu a really nice coating that comes out chewy and amazing.
When it’s time to bake the tofu, it’s all about letting it cook in high heat, for a longer amount. Set your oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip, spoon on the rest of your marinade and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Let the tofu sit for at least 5 minutes before you serve. Once it cools a little bit, it firm up a bit more.
I love putting this tofu in a stir fry, or a buddha bowl. It’s great to meal prep on a Sunday afternoon and then have it ready to go in the fridge all week.
More delicious tofu recipes to try next:
Sesame ginger baked tofu
- 1 package of extra firm tofu – drained and pressed for 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast OR corn starch I prefer nutritional yeast if you have it
- Take your tofu out of the package and drain it.
- Either press the tofu in a tofu press for 30 minutes, or wrap tofu in paper towel or towel and place a heavy pan or object over the tofu. Press for 30 minutes but if you’re short on time, 10 minutes will do.
- Cut tofu in cubes
- In a mug or bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, maple syrup, ginger and garlic.
- Place the tofu in a storage container with a lid and pour the marinade over.
- Put the lid on the container and gently turn container upside down, to make sure tofu marinade gets on all sides.
- Place tofu in the fridge, upside down and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes. 1-8 hours is best, but sometimes we don’t have the time
- Pour nutritional yeast over tofu and gently mix until you don’t see the nutritional yeast
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Take tofu out of the marinade and place on an oiled, or lined baking sheet – save some of the marinade
- Bake for 15 minutes, then take out of the oven and flip
- Spoon the rest of the marinade on top of the tofu
- Place back in oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the tofu is caramelized.
- Take out of oven and off of baking sheet and let it cool for 5 minutes to let it firm up