Vegan tofu wrap
This tofu wrap is easy to make, healthy and great for a quick lunch or dinner. Mix and match with your favorite vegetables and put it on a wrap with crispy seasoned and pan fried or air fried tofu strips.
This recipe is
- vegan & vegetarian
- a healthy lunch recipe
- quick and easy recipe
- a great way to eat vegetables
The beauty of this vegan wrap is you can fill it with your favorite fresh veggies.
- Lettuce leaves
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion – or green onion if you’d prefer
- Avocado slices
- Fresh herbs – Basil leaves, cilantro or dill. Whatever is your favorite.
- Extra-firm tofu – If you want a nice firm texture and crispy tofu, make sure to use extra firm tofu.
- Soy sauce – Adds a nice saltiness and umami flavor to the tofu
- Smoke paprika – Adds a really nice flavor to the tofu
- Onion and garlic powder
- Corn starch – This coats the tofu to make it crispy when we pan fry or air fry it.
- I love adding in some vegan cashew ranch
- Flour tortilla – Spinach or whole wheat tortilla. Used a gluten free tortilla if wanting this recipe to be gluten free.
- Oil – to fry the tofu. Use olive oil or avocado oil.
How to make crispy tofu wraps
- Cut up and prep all of the vegetables that you’re going to be putting in your wrap.
- Press your tofu for 15-30 minutes. You can either use a tofu press (use DAMNTASTY for 10% off) or put some heavy pans over the tofu. This squeezes out the excess water to help the tofu get crispy.
- Cut the tofu into strips and place in a large bowl to season with the seasonings and coat with corn starch
- Oil a pan on medium heat and fry up the tofu in a single layer, giving each tofu strip space, until golden brown on each side.
- Place the tofu sticks and fresh vegetables in the middle of each tortilla, top with Italian or vegan ranch dressing or your favorite hot sauce or creamy hummus, then wrap up the tortilla.
If you’d like to keep this recipe even easier, you can season the tofu with your favorite sauce after pan or air frying. Use a vegan bbq sauce or buffalo sauce like Frank’s red hot. Tofu is a blank canvas, so make sure to season it well.
Fresh herbs also go great in this recipe like dill, basil or cilantro.
If making the tofu in a pan, don’t add the tofu until heating up the pan and oil for 5 minutes on medium heat. Once you add the tofu, don’t move it for 5 minutes. This will ensure it gets nice and crispy. Then flip to another side and don’t move it for another 5 minutes.
How to press tofu
If you’d like the tofu to be crispy, you have to press the excess liquid out of the tofu block so it crisps up instead of steams.
I recommend to press it with a tofu press (use DAMNTASTY for 10% off) I waited for years to get one of these, and once I got one, I wished that I had gotten it sooner.
A tofu press is the quickest and cleanest way to press tofu.
If you don’t have a tofu press yet, then put your tofu on a plate, wrapped up in some paper towel. Place a flat cutting board on top of the tofu, creating a flat surface to then put some heavy pans and books on top.
If you’re pressing with a tofu press, press it for 10 minutes, without a tofu press, press it for 20-30 minutes.
Gluten free tips
To make this recipe gluten free, just use a gluten free wrap and dressing.
Storing tips & making ahead
If you’d like to make this ahead and store it, don’t add any dressing to the wrap or watery vegetables like tomatoes. They will make the wrap soggy.
This usually tastes good if you only store it in the fridge for a night, like if you make it for lunch the night before work or school. Store in a sealed, airtight container.
Can I air fry the tofu?
Yes! This recipe tastes amazing if you air fry the tofu and you can use a lot less oil. Just air fry at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, shaking half way through.
More vegan lunch ideas
- Crunchy rainbow salad
- Southwest quinoa salad
- Chickpea salad sandwich
- Vegan egg salad sandwich
- Vegan Italian dressing
- Vegan chicken salad
- Israeli couscous salad
Easy tofu wrap
- Air fryer optional
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 whole wheat wraps (sub for gluten free if you're gluten free)
- red onion
- vegan ranch (or your favorite dressing)
Press the tofu
- Press the tofu with a tofu press for 10-15 minutes. If you don't have a tofu press, wrap the tofu in a towel and put a cutting board over it on a plate. Place some heavy pans and books on top of the tofu and press it for 20-30 minutes. Pressing the water out will make the tofu crispy.1 package of extra firm tofu
Season the tofu
- Cut the tofu into 1-2" strips. Place in a large mixing bowl. Season with the soy sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Then sprinkle on the corn starch and gently mix with a flat spoon.1 package of extra firm tofu, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon corn starch
Pan fried instructions
- Heat the pan on medium heat and add the oil. Let the pan heat for 5 minutes. Place the tofu in the pan and don't touch it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn to the other side and don't touch the tofu for 5 minutes. Continue like this for all sides2 tablespoons oil
Air fryer instructions
- Spray oil on or line your air fryer. Add in the tofu. Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, shaking about halfway through.
Assemble the wraps
- Add the tofu and your favorite vegetables to a wrap. Top with some vegan ranch or your favorite dressing. Enjoy!4 whole wheat wraps, lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, vegan ranch
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin the recipe with the image below, and give the recipe a star rating on the recipe card above!