Vegan tofu egg salad sandwich
This vegan egg salad is quick and easy to make. Great to meal prep for a high protein vegan lunch. Dairy free and tastes like eggs.
If you need a quick lunch, this easy recipe is for you. I love making a big batch of this eggless egg salad and keeping it in the fridge for a perfect lunch that is quick for a weekday meal.
This is also a great meal to take on a road trip. It’s a great recipe that is a huge hit with my friends and family.
This recipe is
- quick & easy
- vegan & vegetarian
- gluten free
- high in protein
- great to meal prep and make ahead
Ingredients and substitutions
- Extra firm tofu – Extra-firm tofu has the same texture as egg whites and will hold together well. Medium firm tofu would work just as well, if you want it to be a bit softer. Tofu is full of protein because it contains all of the essential amino acids. It’s a great food to eat to get your protein if you’re on a plant based or vegan diet.(1)
- Dairy free mayonnaise – Vegan mayonnaise is really easy to find in most grocery stores. Hellman’s even makes a vegan one. Follow your heart is my favorite brand as well as Just.
- Mustard – You can use yellow mustard or dijon mustard, whatever is your favorite. This gives the recipe the yellow color that egg yolks would normally give.
- Dill – Fresh dill works great, but if you don’t have any fresh herbs, dried dill works just as well.
- Black salt – Also called kala namak. This can be found in Indian grocery stores or easily ordered online. This is the secret ingredient that gives this dish its sulfur, eggy flavor that will make it taste like traditional egg salad. I highly recommend it.
- Dill relish – I love adding relish to my egg salad, but if you don’t fancy it, keep it out.
- Onion – You can use green onion or red onion if you’d like. I prefer red onion, but it does taste a little stronger.
- First, it helps to press the tofu to get rid of excess moisture, so that the sandwich isn’t soggy. You can use a tofu press – use code DAMNTASTY for 10% off. Or you can wrap the block of firm tofu in some paper towels or a dish towel and put some heavy pans and books on the tofu.
- Cut up the tofu into small cubes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well. Mash up some of the tofu with the back of a fork or potato masher to give some parts of it a different texture.
4. Serve on some toasted bread or in a pita.
To add more texture and nutrients, add in some shredded carrots and chopped celery.
To give the tofu some texture, after you’ve cut it into cubes, mash up about ¼ of the tofu to give it varying textures. This is my favorite way to prepare the tofu.
Storing and making ahead
Fridge – This tofu egg salad will last in an airtight container in the fridge for about five to six days.
Freezer – I haven’t tried freezing this so I can’t say for certain if it would do well.
Making ahead – This is the perfect recipe to meal prep. Make a big batch of it and keep it in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat it, toast up some bread and serve.
Is this gluten free?
As long as you use a gluten free bread and gluten free vegan mayonnaise, this recipe is gluten free. You could also serve this on some lettuce wraps or a bed of lettuce instead of slices of bread.
Can I make this without mayo?
To make this without mayonnaise, use avocado. Just mash up one avocado with a pinch of salt. If you want to prevent the avocado from browning, add a squeeze of lemon juice to it.
Can I make this without tofu?
To make this without tofu, just use 2 cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas or any other white bean like great northern beans.
More recipes you’ll love
- Easy tofu wrap
- Nashville hot tempeh sandwich
- Lentil sloppy Joe
- Vegan potato salad
- Chickpea salad sandwich
If you loved this recipe, leave a star rating on the recipe card and pin it to your favorite pinterest board.
Easy vegan egg salad sandwich
- Tofu press optional
- 14 ounces (1 package) of extra-firm tofu
- ½ small red onion (or green onion)
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 tablespoon of fresh dill)
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Additional add ins (optional)
- shredded carrot (optional)
- chopped celery (optional)
- celery salt (optional)
Press the tofu
- Press the tofu with a tofu press for 15-30 minutes. If you don't have a tofu press, wrap it in a dish towel and put some heavy books or pans on top.
Cut the tofu
- Cut the tofu into small cubes
Mix the dressing
- In a large mixing bowl, add the mustard, mayo and dill and dill relish and mix well.½ cup vegan mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons mustard, 2 tablespoons dill relish, 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. With the back of a fork, or potato masher, mash about ¼ of the tofu mixture if you'd like to give the tofu some varied texture. Add more salt if needed.14 ounces (1 package) of extra-firm tofu, ½ small red onion, ½ teaspoon black salt, black pepper to taste
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.