Cheesy vegan tofu scramble recipe. Delicious and satisfying vegan breakfast idea that is high in protein and easy to make. Delicious way to replace eggs as a vegan.
Looking for a tofu scramble recipe that is satisfying and delicious? Your wish is my command.
Finding ways to replace eggs and breakfast dishes can be a little daunting in the beginning of your vegan journey, but this recipe makes it a lot easier.
This tofu scramble recipe is a great vegan breakfast idea and makes it so I never miss those cheesy scramble eggs that I grew up eating.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS TOFU SCRAMBLE:
To prevent the tofu scramble from getting too dry, we add unsweetened , plain coconut milk.
Now, cooking savory meals with plant-based milks can sometimes be a shit show. I don’t f&ck with cooking savory stuff with soymilk or almond milk anymore because it ALWAYS leaves a weird-ass after taste. Even the unsweetened, plain ones.
Soy and almond milk are great for using with cereal or desserts, but when it comes to cooking a savory meal, and it needs some sort of cream, unsweetened and unflavored coconut milk is the way to go.
People have also said unsweetened oat milk works, but I haven’t tried that yet.
I used the So Delicious brand and got the unsweetened and unflavored green box. So Delicious is usually very easy to find in most grocery stores.
Unsweetened and plain oat milk is also really delicious in this.
To get the eggy flavor in vegan foods, it’s important to get black salt. It’s used in a lot of Indian dishes and you can either find it in an Indian grocery store, or order it easily online.
It’s very affordable and if you want dishes to have that eggy flavor, it’s a vegan pantry essential.
A secret to using black salt is to wait until the end to sprinkle it on. Don’t cook this stuff.
I’ve noticed that cooking it diminishes the eggy flavor. So, wait until you’re done cooking this and sprinkle the black salt on at the very end.
If you don’t want the tofu scramble to be too runny, just cook this until you get the consistency you desire. The longer you heat this on the stove, the more moisture gets cooked out.
If you can’t find vegan cheese, use 2 TBL of nutritional yeast instead.
You can eat tofu scramble:
- with a side of toast and vegan breakfast sausage
- wrapped in a breakfast burrito
- in a breakfast burrito bowl
- on a piece of toast with some avocado
That’s all for now! Enjoy this delicious vegan breakfast recipe.
If you’d like more help with savory vegan breakfast ideas check out my
Try these recipes next
Cheesy tofu scramble
- 14 oz firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric (to give the tofu the color of scrambled eggs)
- Handful of frozen or fresh spinach
- Handful of frozen (sliced bell peppers)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened & unflavored coconut milk (like so delicious green boxbrand)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Handful of shredded vegan cheese
- 1 tsp black salt (kala namak – gives this the ‘ eggy’ flavor. Buy it with the link below)
- Melt your vegan butter
- Add your minced garlic and cook for one minute
- Stir in the turmeric
- Add the unsweetened and unflavored coconut milk and warm it for one minute
- Add your frozen or fresh veggies and sauté until slightly cooked – about 5-8 minutes
- Take your tofu out of the package and just gently press it with your hands over the sink. You don’t have to get too much water out, just the initial excess.
- Crumble the tofu in the pan
- Add the soy sauce, garlic powder and onion powder and fold it all together
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes until everything is warmed and cooked through
- If the scramble is a bit runny, cook until you get the consistency you desire
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the scramble and cover with a lid until cheese melts
- At the very end, sprinkle the black salt and stir it in. Waiting until the end to add the black salt makes the egg flavor more pronounced.