Chickpea lentil curry with coconut milk
This lentil and chickpea curry is full of amazing flavor. Super easy to make, all in one pot. Great for an easy weeknight dinner and full of healthy fiber and protein. Made with coconut milk, tomatoes and aromatic spices.
This recipe is
- gluten free
- high in protein
- quick and easy
- one pot meal
- Canned chickpeas – You can also make your own if you’d like. Using canned chickpeas just makes this recipe easier
- Dry green or brown lentils – Don’t worry about cooking these before hand, they will cook in the curry.
- Spices – Cumin, coriander, turmeric and curry powder.
- Tomatoes – Canned diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes work well.
- Coconut milk – Full fat tastes the best, you can also use lite.
Let the onions cook until golden brown. This will take about 10 minutes and give the curry an amazing depth of flavor.
Always bloom the spices in oil before adding any liquid. This brings out the flavor of the spices. This should only take 30 seconds and you do this step right after sauteing the onions and before adding any of the other ingredients.
This curry will last in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5-7 days.
You can also freeze this for about 3-5 months. Just thaw before cooking.
Coconut milk substitutions
If you don’t want to use coconut milk, you can also add in unsweetened and plain vegan yogurt. But don’t add this in until after it’s done cooking. Add about a cup. And you will need two cups of water to cook instead of one.
You can also use extra creamy, plain oat milk – about a cup and a half.
Can I make this in the instant pot?
Absolutely! Just follow the instructions for sauteing. And when it’s time to cook, cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let it slow release for 5 minutes.
More recipes you’ll like
- Vegan Thai red curry with tofu
- Vegan butter chicken
- Red lentil soup
- Spinach and chickpea curry
- Vegan tikka masala
- Vegan broccoli cheddar soup
Easy lentil and chickpea currry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes (one can)
- 14 ounces full fat coconut milk (one can)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 14 ounces canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- fresh cilantro
- Heat up a large pot with the oil on medium heat. Add in your diced onions and cook until they're translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add all of the spices and cook for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.1 tablespoon oil, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- Add the dry lentils, chickpeas, water, coconut milk and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer (with the lid still on) for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and cooked.1 teaspoon salt, 14 ounces diced tomatoes, 14 ounces full fat coconut milk, 1 cup water, 1 cup dry green or brown lentils, 14 ounces canned chickpeas
- After the curry is cooked, turn the heat off and add the lemon juice and fresh cilantro. Serve over rice.1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh cilantro
Instant pot directions
- Set the instant pot to saute mode. Add the oil. Add in your diced onions and cook until they're translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and sauté for another five minutes. Add all of the spices and cook for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.
- Add the dry lentils, chickpeas, water, coconut milk and salt. Cover and seal. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let it slow release for 5 minutes.
- Add in the lemon juice and fresh cilantro and serve over rice.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board by clicking the image below