Vegan Thai red curry with tofu is as close as you can get to take-out. Bright, aromatic and absolutely delicious. Takes less than thirty minutes to make.
I tried for years (no joke) to come up with the best homemade red Thai curry. I tried out tons of different recipes. So many of them never turned out how I wanted. Something was always missing.
Sure, they tasted good, but I wanted them to taste like my favorite take-out place.
I blended these two recipes a bit and adjusted them to be vegan (Pailin’s already was).
Thai food is incredible because they have developed amazing cooking techniques and flavor combinations over generations.
They do an amazing job of balancing acid, salt, sweet and savory.
Where can I find kaffir lime leaves
The key was to add a little sugar to balance the flavors and add sweetness.
The other thing I learned was that kaffir lime leaves were essential for a delicious red curry. They brighten up the curry and make it taste exactly like Thai take out.
Bonus as well if you can find lemongrass…but I wasn’t able to find any for this recipe.
Don’t worry, kaffir lime leaves are super easy to get. Just order them online and then have them in your pantry ready to go every time you want to make Thai red curry at home.
Another big flavor in thai food is fish sauce. This is added mainly to add saltiness and depth of flavor. To make this vegan, we just substitute a good soy sauce for this.
Where can I find vegan red thai curry paste
One more tip is to make sure you find a red Thai curry paste that doesn’t have fish or anchovy in it.
Thai kitchen red curry does not. You can order it here if you can’t find it in your grocery store. It’s pretty easy to find in the international section of your grocery store, though.
And that about does it! Enjoy this vegan red Thai curry with tofu! I know I will!
If you like curry, check out my restaurant-style Indian chickpea curry after this.
Vegan red Thai curry with tofu
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 oz red Thai curry paste Thai Kitchen brand is vegan
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube sub 1 cup of water for 1 cup of stock if you don’t have vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cane or white sugar
- 8 kaffir lime leaves these are essential for a good Thai curry and easy to order online.
- 8 oz bamboo shoots – drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen fajita blend vegetables frozen bell peppers and onion mix
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ block of firm tofu – press water out of it for 5 minutes by laying a plate and heavy book on it.
- Handful of basil Thai basil if you can find it
- Rinse your rice and cook it according to directions
- While rice is cooking, we’ll make the curry
- Heat oil in large pan on medium heat for 1 minute
- Add the 4oz jar of red Thai curry paste and 1 tbsp tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes in oil, stirring so it doesn't burn
- Add the can of coconut milk, water, vegetable bouillon cube and sugar and bring to a low simmer
- Simmer for 5 minutes until everything dissolves
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, soy sauce, tofu, frozen pepper & onion blend and bamboo shoots
- Simmer for 8 minutes
- Add the broccoli
- Simmer for 4 minutes
- If sauce starts getting too thick, add a little water as needed
- Turn off heat
- Add basil and let sit for 5 minutes. Food is always better once it cools down a little bit
- Serve over rice and ENJOY!