Healthy, easy and delicious vegan breakfast sandwich
Vegan fried egg and avocado breakfast sandwich. Great recipe idea for a special Sunday brunch. How to make a runny, savory vegan fried egg using tofu.
Holy shit! This vegan fried egg breakfast sandwich is guaranteed to make your panties wet.
I’m pretty satisfied with those recipes, so I thought it was time to turn my sights to replicating the “fried egg”.
Why? Well, because I grew up eating that shit and it’s nostalgic.
I love the flavor of runny egg yolk, but I hate the way animals are treated.
If I can make something that tastes like fried eggs, without exploiting female chickens, then why the hell would I still keep eating them?
Plus, eggs are way too high in saturated fat and cholesterol, my friends.
And no, that shit isn’t a health food. It’s not even legal for the egg industry to say that eggs are healthy in their advertising.
Rant is over. Let’s get into how to make this damn tasty vegan fried egg and avocado breakfast sandwich.
I’ve recipe tested a few different ways to make a vegan fried egg, and they were all way too fucking complicated.
I came across the blog “It doesn’t taste like chicken” and I tried out her vegan fried egg recipe.
It was easy as hell and insanely delicious.
My fried egg recipe is basically her recipe with a few slight changes. So, make sure to check her recipe out too.
If you’d like to find out more ways to replace eggs for breakfast or for baking, check out my blog post.
How to make a vegan fried egg (sunny side up)
- Make sure you buy black salt. It’s also called Kala Namak. It can be found in Indian grocery stores, or easily online.
- Black salt is crucial to making this taste eggy, so make sure you get it. It’s pretty affordable.
- Mix water with cornstarch and once it dissolves, turn the sauce pan on medium low. Add in the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, oil and turmeric powder
- Stir until mixture thickens.
- Don’t add in the black salt until after the mixture thickens and you turn the heat off. I’ve found that the black salt loses its eggy flavor once it’s heated up.
- Fry your tofu and season with garlic powder, black salt and black pepper
- Cut a small hole into the middle of the tofu and pour the into the hole
How to assemble the sandwich
- Toast your english muffin
- Smash avocado on both sides and season with black salt and pepper
- Lay the tofu onto the english muffin, and pour the vegan egg yolk into the hole
- Add some wilted spinach, vegan breakfast sausage patty and vegan cheese if you’d like to take this to the next level.
Is this freezer friendly?
- I haven’t tried that out yet. If you choose to freeze this, make sure you press the water out of the tofu, otherwise it will drastically change the texture of the tofu.
- I think this would do well meal prepped and frozen, though. It may just change the texture of the tofu slightly to be more chewy.
- Make sure you wrap it up in aluminum foil and in a freezer friendly bag.
Is this healthy?
- Hell yes! Tofu is high in protein and this vegan egg contains zero cholesterol. The avocado is a healthy source of fat and the whole wheat english muffin is a good source of fiber. Add some wilted spinach to make this even healthier
Try this recipe out and please leave me any questions below!
Try these recipes next:
- Easy vegan breakfast burrito
- Savory vegan breakfast casserole
- Delicious vegan french toast
- Vegan breakfast hash
- Mango protein smoothie
Vegan fried egg and avocado breakfast sandwich
Vegan egg yolk
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp black salt (also called kala namak. This gives the yolk an eggy flavor. )
- 4 whole wheat english muffins (check ingredients that they’re vegan)
- 1 package extra firm tofu (Optional – press it if you’d like this extra crispy)
- 1 tbsp TBL vegan butter or margarine
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkle of black salt
- Pepper to taste
- optional tasty additions Gardein or Beyond vegan breakfast sausage patties, wilted spinach and vegan cheese
To make the vegan fried “egg”
- Pour 1 cup of water and 3 tsp of corn starch in a sauce pan – no heat
- Stir until corn starch dissolves
- Turn heat on medium low and add 1 TBL nutritional yeast, 1 TBL vegetable oil and ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Stir on low heat until egg yolk thickens – about 3-5 minutes
- Turn heat off and stir in ¾ tsp of black salt
- Set egg yolk aside
- Drain your tofu, turn it on its side and slice into 4 thin slices
- Cut the corners off if you’d like it to have a round, egg shape
- Melt 1 TBL of vegan butter in a saute pan on medium heat
- Once pan is warm, set your tofu slice in and DON’T TOUCH for 3-5 minutes (this ensures it will get crispy and golden brown)
- Flip the tofu and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Turn off heat and season with ½ tsp of garlic powder, black pepper and a sprinkle of black salt
- Cut a small hole in the middle of the tofu and eat the middle so it doesn’t go to waste. We will be pouring the egg yolk mixture into the center in a moment.
- Put it all together
- Toast your english muffin
- Smash the avocado onto the english muffin & season with a little black salt and pepper
- Place the tofu with the hole in the middle onto the english muffin
- Gently pour the “egg yolk” mixture into the hole in the tofu. Add as much as you’d like
- Add any additions you’d like (wilted spinach, sautéed vegan breakfast sausage patty or vegan cheese)