Vegan burrito bowl recipe
This vegan Mexican bowl is just like ordering from Chipotle but better. Made with seasoned lime rice, fajita vegetables, fresh pico de gallo, homemade guacamole and black beans. Great healthy lunch to meal prep.
This recipe is
- Vegan and vegetarian
- Gluten free
- Fresh and delicious
- Great to meal prep for lunch or dinner
- Better than Chipotle
- Fajita vegetables – I love the grilled peppers and onions from Chipotle, so I made them at home. I added in mushrooms as well because I love the texture and flavor.
- Seasoned lime rice – Just cook up some white or brown rice (get yourself a rice cooker to make perfect rice every time). Once the rice is cooked, add in some fresh lime juice, salt and fresh cilantro.
- Homemade pico de gallo – It’s so easy to make your own at home and it tastes incredible. Just chop up some cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro, onions and mix in some fresh lime juice and salt. I love adding in corn as well.
- Homemade guacamole – Just mash up two avocados with some fresh lime juice and salt. So easy.
- Beans – I use canned black beans to make this easier. You can also make your own. You can also use pinto beans, or a mixture of both black and pinto beans.
- Lettuce – Add some fresh greens to this burrito bowl for some more nutrients. I use romaine.
- Dairy free sour cream – This is optional but tastes amazing topping this Mexican bowl off with some dairy free sour cream.
- Keep the guacamole stored separately in an air tight container in the fridge, with the avocado pits. This will help prevent it from turning too brown.
- Make large batches of everything so you can eat it for lunch or dinner for the next few days. This is a great recipe to meal prep for the week.
- If you want to save yourself some time, just buy store bought salsa and guacamole. But know that this bowl will taste a lot better if you make it yourself.
- If you eat rice and grains regularly, get yourself a rice cooker, or use the rice setting on your instant pot. I put off this purchase for years, and as soon as I bought a rice cooker, I was mad I hadn’t gotten one sooner.
You can cook all types of grains in a rice cooker. It always comes out perfectly and you never have to watch over it or worry it’s going to boil over. I like to have both a rice cooker and pressure cooker because I can cook rice the same time I’m cooking something like a curry in my instant pot.
Keep all of the ingredients stored separately in containers in the fridge. This will keep everything fresh. This will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
More recipes you’ll love
Vegan Mexican bowl (homemade Chipotle)
Seasoned lime rice
- 2 cups white rice
- 3½ cups water
- ½ lime- juiced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bell peppers (Sliced)
- ½ red onion (Sliced)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (Sliced)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
Pico de gallo
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime – juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen corn (run under warm water to warm it up)
- 2 avocados
- ½ lime – juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cans black or pinto beans
- Romaine lettuce
- Dairy free sour cream
Cook the rice
- Start by making the rice as per the directions on the rice package, since every type of rice is different. I love cooking my rice in a rice cooker.2 cups white rice, 3½ cups water
- Once the rice is cooked, add in the salt, fresh cilantro and lime juice and stir.½ lime- juiced, ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt
Cook the fajita vegetables
- Chop up all the veggies. Get a saute pan hot on medium heat and add the oil. Add in the vegetables and taco seasoning. Cook until peppers are tender and mushrooms are sauted.2 bell peppers, ½ red onion, 8 ounces white button mushrooms, 2 teaspoons oil, 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
Make the pico de gallo
- Chop up the cherry tomatoes and onions. Add the lime juice, cilantro, salt and warmed up frozen corn. Stir well.1 pint cherry tomatoes, ½ red onion, ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro, 1 lime – juiced, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup frozen corn
Make the guacamole
- Scoop out the avocados into a bowl. Add the lime juice and salt. Store it in a glass container with a lid and add the avocado pits in with it to prevent the guacamole from getting brown.2 avocados, ½ lime – juiced, ½ teaspoon salt
Put it all together
- Warm up the beans in a microwave or on the stove. Assemble your bowl with the rice, vegetables, beans, pico de gallo and guacamole. Add some chopped romaine lettuce and dairy free sour cream2 cans black or pinto beans, Romaine lettuce, Dairy free sour cream
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board by clicking the image below
Leave a Reply