Easy tempeh taco meat
These tempeh tacos are super easy and make for a great weeknight vegan dinner or taco night. Full of protein. Easy beginner tempeh recipe.
This easy recipe is
- quick and easy
- vegan & vegetarian
- full of protein
- one pan
- no cholesterol
This recipe has simple ingredients, which is why it's a weekly staple of mine. I usually have all of these ingredients on hand.
- Tempeh - This can be found in your grocery store by the refrigerated section in the produce aisle where the tofu and other soy products are. Use whatever is your favorite brand of tempeh.
- Onion - I prefer red onion because it has more antioxidants than white onions and a sweeter flavor.
- Taco seasoning - Read the ingredients to make sure there is no dairy in it. Some brands have milk powder. If you don't have taco seasoning you can make your own with a mix of chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt
- Garlic powder
- Tomato paste - This adds a deeper flavor to the tacos. Tomato paste is full of umami flavor. If you don't have tomato paste, you can use a little bit of tomato sauce in a can.
- Vegetable broth - Tempeh loses some of its bitter taste when it's simmered for a little bit in vegetable broth.
- Black beans - I love adding a can of black beans to these tacos to add in more protein and texture.
- Lime juice - these tacos taste amazing topped with a little squeeze of fresh lime.
- Tortillas - feel free to use whatever you have on hand, corn tortillas or flour tortillas. It also tastes amazing on warm tortillas.
I love grating the tempeh with a large grater to get crumbled tempeh and a finer consistency like ground meat. It will have a nice chewy texture. If you don't have a grater, just chop it up really fine.
An easy way to open the package of tempeh is to cut it in half with a large knife. The pull the tempeh out by your hand. Sometimes it's hard to get the tempeh out of the package when you don't do this, because it's wrapped in two layers of plastic.
If you want to make these tacos even more savory, add 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. It adds a great depth of flavor.
Serve in warmed tortillas or taco shells. Also goes great on top of a taco salad.
Fridge - This will last about 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
Freezer - This freezes great! Just leave it in a freezer friendly container. Thaw it out in the fridge the night before you want to eat it.
Here's some of my favorite toppings:
- Dairy free sour cream
- Salsa -
- Hot sauce
- Red cabbage
Frequently asked questions
Is it normal for tempeh to have grey or black lines on it?
Yes! That's completely normal. Tempeh is made from fermenting soy beans. So the lines on the tempeh are just a normal part of the fermentation process.
Is tempeh high in protein?
Yes! Tempeh is full of protein! It's got 31 grams of protein per 1 cup (1).
What is tempeh?
Tempeh originated from Indonesia. It's made by fermenting whole soy beans into a cake like shape. It's often called the "poor man's meat" in Indonesia because it's so affordable over there.
What does tempeh taste like?
Tempeh has a slightly nutty flavor and a nice meaty texture. When you crumble tempeh, it has the same consistency as ground beef.
Plain tempeh can be a little bitter if you don't cook it right. If you aren't simmering it in a sauce, like in this recipe, it's important to simmer the block of tempeh in some vegetable broth for 20-30 minutes before using it.
You can also steam it in a steamer basket.
Is soy bad for you?
Absolutely not! Soy is high in protein and is cholesterol free. It's also high in a lot of vitamins and minerals. Many studies actually point to its anti-cancerous properties. (2)
And no, many studies show that it doesn't raise estrogen levels. (3)
More recipes you'll love
If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card below and pin it to your favorite Pinterest board
Easy tempeh tacos
- Hot sauce
- Dairy free sour cream
- Take the tempeh out of the package. Grate it with a grater for a more fine texture. Or just chop it up really fine.1 package of tempeh
- Add oil to a large sauté pan and heat the pan on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté them for about five minutes.1 tablespoon oil, ½ red onion
- Add the tomato paste and cook it for about 30 seconds.1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Add in the tempeh, taco seasoning, garlic powder and vegetable broth and black beans. Turn down heat to medium low. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.1 package of tempeh, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 can black beans
- Once you get the consistency you desire, turn off heat and serve on a tortilla with your favorite taco toppings.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.