How to make a flavorful and easy tempeh reuben sandwich
Moth watering, delicious vegan sandwich. Packed with protein, vitamins and minerals, tempeh is an amazing meat replacement.
In my early 20’s I used to be a cook in my small, Midwestern hometown at a place called “The Corner Cafe”. They were known for their reuben sandwich. This monster was loaded to the ceiling with salty meat, sauerkraut and dressing.
Their bread was fresh every day from a local bakery. This was a year or so before I went vegetarian (now vegan) so I indulged in this sandwich a bit too much. Heck, can you blame me with my employee discount?
I’m happy to finally be able to relish in this messy sandwich again. No need to fill it with dead animal products. Nope! You can make anything vegan and this sandwich is no exception.
This salty, messy, savory, dripping with dressing sandwich will help satisfy any cravings that you might have for a meaty sandwich.
Delicious Vegan Reuben
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter dissolved in ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 package of tempeh
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp relish
- Rye bread
- Steam tempeh for 5- 10 minutes to get rid of the bitter flavor
- Mix ingredients for tempeh marinade together and marinade tempeh for at least 10 minutes
- Heat up a pan with oil or water and cook the tempeh until it’s brown on each side
- To Make French dressing:
- Mix together mayo, ketchup and relish
- Toast some rye bread
- Slather french dressing on, then add the sauerkraut and tempeh.