Cashew ricotta with tofu
Easy vegan ricotta recipe. Made with tofu, cashews, vegan cream cheese, lemon, garlic and olive oil. Dairy free recipe for lasagna or stuffed shells.
This recipe is
- Quick and easy
- Dairy free
- Vegan & vegetarian
- High in protein
- Delicious and creamy
- Medium firm tofu (1) – I love using medium firm tofu because it’s a nice smooth consistency. I used extra firm for the photos, because that’s what I had on hand and it turned out a little more chunky than I liked. If you want to sub the tofu, look at the substitution section below.
- Lemon – This will add a slight tartness that is found in ricotta cheese. It brightens this up a lot as well.
- Raw cashews – This will add a nice creaminess and richness. Use raw cashews because they have a nice neutral flavor. If you’re allergic to nuts, I show you how to replace the cashews in the substitution section below.
- Dairy free cream cheese – I’ve made this recipe before with only tofu and cream cheese. It was delicious. This will add a nice creaminess to the ricotta. But feel free to leave it out if you can’t find it.
- Nutritional yeast – This adds a nice depth of flavor and richness to the recipe.
- Olive oil – I added this to make the ricotta a bit more rich and creamy. It’s optional, though since the cream cheese adds some nice creaminess.
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
How to use vegan ricotta
This will last in the fridge in an air tight container for about a week.
I haven’t tried freezing this by itself before but I have made it in a lasagna and then frozen the lasagna. It froze just fine like that.
To substitute the tofu in this recipe you can use a can of drained and rinsed white beans. I love using great northern beans or cannellini beans.
You can substitute the cashews by using about ½ cup more of the dairy free cream cheese.
Substituting cream cheese
If you don’t have dairy free cream cheese, you can use dairy free, unsweetened yogurt or 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. You can also leave the cream cheese out. This tastes great with just tofu and cashews.
More recipes you’ll love
- Smoked gouda mac and cheese
- How to cook tofu
- Vegan breakfast casserole
- Dairy free pesto
- Vegan broccoli cheddar soup
- Tofu cream cheese
- Vegan bechamel sauce
Vegan ricotta cheese
- Bring some water to a boil. Then pour it over the raw cashews in a mug. Let it soak for 10 minutes.1 cup raw cashews
- Add everything to the blender and blend until smoothish. You may have to stop a few times and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Add a couple tablespoons of water if it needs some liquid to get going.14 ounces medium firm tofu, 1 cup raw cashews, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ cup dairy free cream cheese, 1 lemon
Substituting tofuTo substitute the tofu in this recipe you can use a can of drained and rinsed white beans. I love using great northern beans or cannellini beans.
Substituting cashewsYou can substitute the cashews by using about ½ cup more of the dairy free cream cheese.
Substituting cream cheeseIf you don’t have dairy free cream cheese, you can use dairy free, unsweetened yogurt or 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. You can also leave the cream cheese out. This tastes great with just tofu and cashews.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board by clicking the image below