Tuscan kale soup
Easy vegan white bean, kale and vegetable soup. This will keep you warm on a cold night. Easy weeknight plant based dinner idea. All in one pot.
I threw this soup together the other day when I was not in the mood to cook. I had cooked a big bag of white beans the day before in my instant pot, and I needed to use up all the beans.
White bean soup is one of my favorite soups to eat in the colder months. It’s an easy, one pot, weeknight meal that your whole family will love.
This vegetable and bean soup is
- All in one pot
- Gluten free
- Dairy Free
- Easy to make
Tips for making this white bean soup
- Chop up all of the vegetables first.
- Chop the garlic and onions up before all the other vegetables. This allows the flavors of them to deepen. Also, when we chop garlic and onions, and then wait before cooking them, it gives them time to form anti-cancerous compounds that won’t be cooked away when they’re heated. The research is showing they need about 10-15 minutes after they’ve been chopped to allow the enzymes to form the anti-cancerous compounds.
- Feel free to add any vegetables you have on hand in your fridge. As long as you have beans and broth, you can mix and match flavors to your heart’s content.
- This soup freezes really well, so feel free to double the batch and store it in the freezer for those nights you can’t be bothered to cook.
- Don’t add the kale until the soup only has 5 minutes left to simmer. Otherwise, it will get too wilted.
- If you don’t have vegetable broth, you can also use a bouillon cube. I use about 1.5 vegetable bouillon cubes and then salt to taste as needed.
- I love to add garlic powder in addition to fresh garlic to add more flavor to the broth. Garlic powder and fresh garlic offer different flavors to the base.
- Top with a little bit of olive oil right before serving. This will make this soup a lot more rich and hearty.
- If you have vegan parmesan or feta cheese, top the soup with this as well. It adds a saltines and richness to each bite.
- If you want to learn how to cook dried beans in the instant pot, stove top or slow cooker, check out my article on how to cook dried beans from scratch.
More recipes to try:
- Buffalo cauliflower tacos
- Best vegan chili
- Smoky tempeh bacon
- Barley stuffed peppers
- Easy lentil soup
- Vegan chicken noodle soup
- Vegan stuffed shells
- Vegan chicken
Vegan white bean soup with kale
- Soup bowls
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 5 white button mushrooms (quartered)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 cans white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Salt to taste (you may need a half a teaspoon or so depending on your broth)
- Vegan feta or parmesan cheese to garnish
- Chop all your vegetables. In a large dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat.
- add your diced onions and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add the chopped mushrooms, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes
- Add the diced carrots, celery, garlic, 1 tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp oregano and saute for 4-5 minutes
- Add 6 cups of vegetable broth, 1 tsp of garlic powder and the drained and rinsed white beans and 1 tsp of soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn it down to a simmer. Simmer on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes
- When the soup has 5 minutes left to cook, add in the chopped kale
- Salt to taste
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil and vegan feta or parmesan cheese if you have it.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.