Savory red beans and rice (vegan)
Smoky, savory and delicious vegan red beans and rice. Filling and satisfying, these vegan red beans featuring Beyond Meat’s Beyond Sausage will keep you full for hours and won’t disappoint. Perfect food to feed a group of people or to bring to a party.
I first made these red beans and rice about a year ago and have been tweaking the recipe every time I make it. After a year of testing, I finally perfected this recipe.
My favorite part when cooking this dish is seeing all the beautiful colors while sautéing the bell pepper, celery and red onion. Aren’t plants so beautiful? I’m always mesmerized by their rich colors.
Tips for making vegan red beans:
- Use the Beyond meat Italian sausage for this recipe. I promise it will blow you away
This recipe is also great if you can’t find the vegan sausage.
Cilantro isn’t traditionally in New Orleans red beans and rice. You will find it in Dominican red beans and rice though. The addition of fresh cilantro plays really well off of the smoky, earthy beans.
I wait until the beans are cooked to add the salt since adding the salt too early slows the cooking of the beans down. Adding it at the end also makes it so you don’t have to add as much.
This is a great dish to have for a dinner party, or to bring to a potluck. You only have to bring two pans, one for the beans and one for the rice, and it feeds a lot of people.
Give this recipe a whirl and let me know in the comments below how you liked it, or if you have any questions.
If you want to learn how to cook more dried beans in the instant pot, stove top or slow cooker, check out my article on how to cook dried beans from scratch.
Try these recipes next
Vegan New Orleans red beans and rice
- 1 lb bag dry red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 3 stalks of celery – diced
- 1 medium red onion – diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper – diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t like spicy food)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 5 cloves garlic – chopped
- 6 cups water – plus more if needed
- 2 vegan sausages – Beyond Sausage (Field Roast or Tofurky)
- 2 tbsp Frank’s red hot sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or whatever you have)
- 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3 cups white rice
- Soak beans overnight or for 8 hours – drain and rinse the next day
- Heat 1-2 TBL oil or water in a big pot on medium heat (3 minutes)
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper and celery to pot
- Cook for 7-8 minutes until veggies soften
- Add ground thyme, sage and smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute
- Add beans, water, veggie bouillon cube, bay leaves and garlic – stir
- Cover with lid and bring to a boil
- Turn down to medium low heat and simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours. Check every hour to make sure water doesn’t run out.
- Once beans are about ready to serve, fry your sausages in a separate pan. Chop up and add to beans
- Add Frank’s red hot sauce, salt, liquid smoke, vinegar and cilantro once the beans are cooked.
- Cook white rice separately. Serve beans over the rice. Top with chopped onions, cilantro and more hot sauce
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
LOVED THIS RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARD BY CLICKING THE IMAGE BELOW.