Easy vegan breakfast burritos. Deliciously seasoned tofu scramble, potatoes, black beans and dairy free cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla. Savory vegan breakfast that's easy to meal prep and freeze. High in protein with 24 grams per burrito!
If you'd like more savory vegan breakfast recipes that are also great to meal prep, check out my High Protein Vegan Breakfast Casserole, Vegan Breakfast Hash and Vegan Breakfast Burrito Bowl recipes next.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to make, filling, healthy breakfast
- Vegan, egg free, dairy free and cholesterol free
- Made with simple ingredients
- Perfect for meal prep
- Make a big batch and store in the freezer for busy mornings
- These vegan burritos are high in protein (24 grams per large burrito) from the tofu, black beans and nutritional yeast.
🧂 Ingredients and substitutions
- Tofu Scramble - this is our scrambled eggs replacement and breakfast burrito filling. High in protein and zero cholesterol. Make sure to use extra-firm tofu. You can also use JUST egg if you'd like to make this even easier.
- Black beans - pinto beans would also taste amazing.
- Potatoes - I use frozen southern style hash browns (potato cubes). Using frozen hash browns makes this recipe a lot easier. You can also use tater tots.
- Veggies of choice - I like to add some greens like kale or spinach. Red peppers, green peppers, sweet potatoes and green onions would also taste amazing in this.
- Vegan cheese - cheddar cheese is usually a great flavor, but use whatever dairy free cheese you can find. You can also use Homemade Vegan Queso.
- Seasonings - We're using turmeric powder for color, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Chili powder would also taste great.
- Nutritional yeast - This gives the tofu scramble a slightly cheesy flavor, without having to use cow cheese. Plus, nutritional yeast is full of vitamin B12, minerals and is a complete protein.
- Black salt - This is also called kala namak and will give the tofu scramble an eggy flavor. You can buy black salt online if you can't find it near you.
- Large tortillas - if you want to make this gluten free, use gluten-free tortillas or corn tortillas. Whole wheat tortillas will make this recipe even healthier.
- Salsa - pico de gallo would taste so fresh and delicious as well. Dairy free sour cream will elevate this burrito as well.
👩🍳 Recipe tips
Make it heartier - add in some vegan breakfast sausage or tempeh bacon.
Make it easier - use frozen bell peppers and onions to cut down on chopping fresh veggies.
Grill the breakfast burrito in a skillet until each side is golden brown, once it's all wrapped up. This elevates them to the next level.
Make sure to scroll to the recipe card for full step-by-step instructions.
Step one: Season the frozen chopped potatoes with a little salt, pepper and olive oil. Add to a lined baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
Step two: Squeeze the tofu over the sink to release any excess moisture. Add oil to a sauté pan on medium heat and sauté the red onions. Add in the seasonings and crumbled tofu and veggies of choice and cook up the scrambled vegan eggs.
Step three: Add the crispy potatoes, fluffy tofu scramble, a can of black beans, salsa and vegan cheese to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Step four: Place about a cup of filling ingredients into a large flour tortilla and hot sauce if you'd like. Fold the sides in, then tightly roll them up. This will make 5 large burritos or 10 small breakfast tacos.
☕️ Serving suggestions
Top with some vegan sour cream, fresh lime juice, avocado slices or fresh cilantro.
❓ Recipe FAQs
1. Make sure the filling is in the center of the tortilla.
2. Tuck the sides in toward the middle
3. Tuck the bottom up over the filling
4. Roll it up, keeping the sides tucked in
If you're allergic to soy and want to make this without tofu, you can make the vegan egg out of split yellow mung beans. Use my recipe for Vegan Egg Muffins and then just chop them up and add them as a burrito filling. You can also just omit the tofu scramble entirely.
This recipe is gluten free, as long as you use a gluten-free tortilla, and gluten-free soy sauce.
Absolutely! These vegan make-ahead breakfast burritos freeze really well.
Put the rolled burrito in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and then a freezer friendly bag to prevent freezer burn or a reusable freezer bag if you’d like to reduce waste.
These will last 3 months in the freezer if they’re wrapped well. Frozen, prepared burritos are perfect to meal prep and have on hand for a quick grab delicious breakfast on busy mornings.
Toaster oven or oven: Take them out of the plastic wrap, then wrap them back up in the aluminum foil. Heat them in the oven or toaster oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Microwave: Take them out of the plastic wrap and aluminum foil and wrap them in a slightly damp paper towel. Heat for one minute. Turn them and heat for another 2-3 minutes.
Air fryer: Take them out of their wrap and place in the air fryer. Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
🍊 More delicious recipes
If you loved this recipe, leave a 5 ⭐️ rating on the recipe card and comment below!
Easy Vegan Breakfast Burrito (Freezer Friendly)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb bag of frozen southern style hash browns (frozen diced potatoes)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 16 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 5 large flour tortillas (or 10 small)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, we will make the potatoes first
- Oil or line a large baking sheet and cover with frozen, diced potatoes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of oil over potatoes, sprinkle with salt and mix.1 lb bag of frozen southern style hash browns, 1 tablespoon oil
- Bake potatoes for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are crispy and golden brown
- When potatoes have about 20 minutes left to bake, put a sauté pan on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter or oil1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Once pan is heated, add the diced red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly translucent. Sprinkle on turmeric powder and mix well, about 1 minute. Add unsweetened, plain coconut milk and sauté for 1 minute.½ red onion, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, ⅓ cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- Drain the package of tofu and gently squeeze out excess water from tofu in the sink. Crumble tofu in the pan to resemble scrambled eggs.14 oz package of extra firm organic tofu
- Add soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast and mix everything well. Cook until you get the desired amount of liquid out (about 5-8 minutes). Add the kale and cook until wilted.1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 cup chopped kale
- Once tofu scramble is cooked, turn off heat and sprinkle ½ or 1 teaspoon black salt over the scramble and mix in. Adding it at the end will give a stronger "eggy" flavor.½ teaspoon black salt
- Once everything is cooked, assemble the drained and rinsed black beans, tofu scramble, potatoes, 1 cup of salsa and 1 cup of vegan cheese in a large bowl and mix.16 oz can of black beans, 1 cup vegan cheese, 1 cup salsa, 5 large flour tortillas
- Store this in the fridge and make your burrito fresh every morning, or pre-wrap your burritos and store in the fridge or freezer. Just warm them up in the oven (400 degrees for 20 minutes) or microwave for an on-the-go breakfast
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.