This Vegan Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup is quick, healthy and perfect for busy nights. This hearty soup is an easy one pot recipe that uses affordable and easy to find ingredients.
❤️ Why you'll love this soup
- Easy one pot meal to whip together for an easy weeknight dinner
- Super comforting recipe during soup season or any time of year.
- High in plant-based protein, fiber, gluten free, dairy free and vegan
- Uses a handful of simple ingredients that are easy to find.
- Healthy meatless meal full of fall flavors.
🧂 Ingredient notes
Make sure to scroll to the recipe card for full list of ingredients.
Sweet potatoes - I like to use orange sweet potatoes, since they are the sweetest. Sweet potatoes give you the most bang for your buck, when it comes to nutrition and antioxidants. Sweet potatoes have been shown to provide the most nutrients per dollar.
Kale - You can also use fresh spinach or frozen spinach or collard greens. Don't add this in until the end, to prevent it from over cooking.
Seasonings - I use a bay leaf, black pepper, curry powder (you can also use garam masala) and smoked paprika. Add in some chili powder or red pepper flakes if you like spice.
Vegetables - I use a mixture of red onion, garlic, celery, carrots and kale.
Tomatoes - I like to use fire roasted chopped tomatoes to add a deeper flavor. You can also substitute for some tomato paste.
Lime juice or lemon juice - A little squeeze of citrus at the end really enhances all of the flavors.
Soy sauce - this is a vegan secret that helps make meatless soups taste more rich.
Vegetable broth - I like making my own using Edward & son’s no-chicken veggie bouillon cubes to make my own vegetable stock. It's a lot more affordable.
👩🍳 Recipe tips
Use up whatever veggies you have in the fridge or freezer. Kale also works great in this if you’re trying to sneak in some more leafy greens.
As always, adjust the salt content to fit your taste. I like things on the saltier side, so I added a ½ teaspoon in addition to my veggie bouillon cube.
Make a big batch of this recipe and put half of it in the freezer for later. It’s a great meal prep option.
Add in some fresh cilantro or fresh parsley to elevate this soup even more.
If you'd like this lentil sweet potato soup to be more creamy, blend with an immersion blender for a minute or so. You can also add in some creamy coconut milk at the end.
Make sure to scroll to the recipe card for full step-by-step instructions.
Step one: Add coconut oil or olive oil to a large pot or instant pot on medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Step two: Add in the spices and seasonings to help bring out their flavor even more. Sauté for 1 minute and stir well.
Step three: Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves and rest of the ingredients to the pot. Add the lid and set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes then let it naturally release. If cooking on the stove, let it simmer for 25 minutes.
Step four: Open the lid and add in the lime juice and stir well. Adjust and add more salt if needed.
🥣 Serving suggestions
Serve this sweet potato lentil soup with this 3 Ingredient Homemade Bread or your favorite crusty bread. This also goes well with a side salad like this Kale Tahini Salad, this Vegan Oriental Chicken Salad or this Cucumber Tomato Salad.
Serve some steamed veggies on the side, like broccoli or asparagus. Serve with a crispy baked potato.
❓ Recipe FAQs
Yes, rinsing the lentils helps to get rid of any dirt or dust and makes the lentils taste better. You can also pick out any loose pebbles that may be in the lentils.
Yes. This instant pot lentil sweet potato soup freezes very well. Let it come to room temperature, then freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating.
This soup will last 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
🍲 Try these recipes next
If you loved this recipe, leave a 5 ⭐️ rating on the recipe card and comment below!
Easy Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 small carrots (diced)
- 1 medium celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or ½ teaspoon salt)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils (rinsed)
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 small bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen spinach or big handful baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Instant pot directions
- Turn instant pot to sauté and add oil. Add onions, celery, carrots, and sauté for five minutes. Add a splash of water if it starts to burn.1 tablespoon oil, 1 small onion, 2 small carrots, 1 medium celery
- Add the seasonings and garlic and sauté for one minute.1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 6 cloves garlic
- Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, bay leaves, can of tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and black pepper. Set Instant Pot to Manual, High for 7 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release.1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 medium sweet potato, 1 cup dry brown or green lentils, 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, 2 small bay leaves, 4 cups vegetable broth, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add in the lemon juice, spinach, extra cup of broth if it became too thick, and more salt if needed. Enjoy!1 cup frozen spinach or big handful baby spinach, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Stove top directions
- Add oil to a large pot and set it to medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and sauté for five minutes. Add a splash of water if it starts to burn.1 tablespoon oil, 1 small onion, 2 small carrots, 1 medium celery
- Add the seasonings and garlic and sauté for one minute.1 tablespoon curry powder, 6 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, bay leaves, can of tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes with the lid partially on, or until the lentils are cooked.1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 medium sweet potato, 1 cup dry brown or green lentils, 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, 2 small bay leaves, 4 cups vegetable broth, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Turn heat off. Add in the lemon juice, spinach, extra cup of water if it became too thick.1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 cup frozen spinach or big handful baby spinach
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.