How to make vegan mashed potatoes in the instant pot
No drain, dairy free and vegan instant pot mashed potatoes recipe. Perfect vegan side dish for the holidays.
I love making mashed potatoes in the instant pot because it’s all in one pan, and I don’t have to babysit the potatoes as they’re boiling over the stove.
You will absolutely love how easy, fluffy and delicious these vegan mashed potatoes are. They’re the perfect side dish for the holidays or thanksgiving.
Which potatoes are best for mashed potatoes
Yukon golds make the best mashed potatoes. They create fluffy, creamy and perfect mashed potatoes every time.
I also sometimes use russets, but I always prefer yukon golds.
Tips for making vegan mashed potatoes in the instant pot
- Make sure to peel your potatoes and quarter them to roughly the same size. This helps them to cook faster
- I prefer making no drain mashed potatoes, so that I don’t have to warm up the milk in a separate pan and add it in. So for 3 pounds of potatoes, I add in ¼ cup of vegetable broth and 1 cup of unsweetened and extra creamy oat milk.
- When you add the milk in with the potatoes, it makes the milk warm up with the potatoes. Warm milk whipped with potatoes makes them really fluffy and creamy.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Then let it slow release for 3-5 minutes. After that, quick release.
- Add some vegan butter (my favorite is miyoko’s, and salt to taste. You don’t even need to transfer it to another bowl, just mash everything up in the instant pot.
- If you’d like to make this even more creamy, you can add a tablespoon or so of vegan sour cream, like Kite Hill.
Which vegan milk is best for mashed potatoes
Don’t use soymilk. It will always leave a weird after taste. Even if it’s plain and unsweetened.
Use unsweetened and extra creamy oat milk or unsweetened coconut milk.
Not the coconut milk in a can, that you would put into a Thai curry, but the coconut milk that you would find next to the soymilk, like So Delicious.
Silk also has a heavy whipping cream made from coconut milk, that would be very very good to use in this as well.
Coconut and oat milks have very neutral flavors, so don’t leave any weird after tastes. Plus, they will make your mashed potatoes nice and creamy and fluffy.
More easy vegan holiday recipes
Instant pot mashed potatoes
- instant pot
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes – peeled and quartered
- 1 cup unsweetened and plain extra creamy oat milk
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- Salt to taste I use about ½ to 1 tsp
- 2-4 tbsp vegan butter or as much or as little as you’d like
- 2 tbsp vegan sour cream or vegan mayo optional
- Peel and quarter your potatoes
- Add them to the instant pot along with ¼ cup of water OR vegetable broth, 1 cup of unsweetened and extra creamy oat milk and salt. You can add more salt later if you’d like. (If you don’t have oat milk, I provide more options in the notes section below)
- Set instant pot to high pressure and cook for 10 minutes
- Let the instant pot slow release for 3-5 minutes, then quick release
- Add in 2-4 TBL of butter, as much or as little as you’d like.
- To make this extra creamy, add in a tablespoon or two of vegan sour cream (I love kite hill’s).
- Mash everything up until all of the liquid and butter is well combined. Add more salt if needed.